it set me thinking......

vinod

On my recent trip last week my flight arrived pretty late in Bkk and by the time I check-in, it was 3 am and nothing much to do, one of my favorite late nights bars is the Siam Coffee shop where the action is till sun rise.

The place was teaming with FL, sat down and ordered drinks, chatting with some of old FL friends. After a couple drinks I decided to head back to hotel around 4.45 am and when I came out I seen quite no., of FL heading back home, taking out there cars from the parking lot. It was in this trip I realized that quite a few FL at this Coffee shop own cars. I recollect 3 months back when I picked up a cute FL, we went back to my hotel in her Honda City car and I did think much as I was pretty sober. She did tell me she is working in some kind of sales but at that time I though she was pulling a fast one on me.

It is in this trip I really started thinking when they own cars why do these people work (is it they have a regular job and run out of money) and also, I never came across BG's / FL in the falang areas - Nana, SC, CM2, Grace, BG7 or Soi33 (except a mamasan owning a car) come to work on cars. It set me thinking is that the FL in this place make more money (which is not according to my exp.,) or are much smarter

then there cousins in Nana........even after 45 trips to LOS, this country still leaves me wondering at some of things that I come across at work or nightlife... :banghead:

cheers

vinod

Hi,

A lot of the girls freelancing in and around Siam Hotel are massage parlour girls. These girls can make serious money (100K+ / month is certainly not uncommon), which is why they can afford to buy a car (in installments :) ).

I'd say more than a few have / have had rich Thai 'boyfriends' taking care of them. Again it is not uncommon that a guy like this buys a car for the girl.

Sanuk!

Vinod

On my last trip I spent a few wonderful hours with my favourite massage girl in Barons. I go every trip and know her quite well by now.

As we were chatting I asked what she had done since my last visit.......anything interesting............She said she had just bought a new car. I expressed surprise at this as I have been to her room and know she lives beside the sky train. I said Why do you need a car the traffic is so bad in BKK?

Her reply was very interesting and may be the answer to your question.

She said that she had no plan to drive it, but that by borrowing money to buy it she then had to save the repayment money each month to pay to the bank. In two years time she would own the car outright and would have a lump sum of money from the sale of her new car.

Normally she just spent all the money she earned every month.

I thought it was quite a clever idea but I didn't say anything about the two year depreciation of the value of the car!!!!

Uniformguy

I never came across BG's / FL in the falang areas - Nana, SC, CM2, Grace, BG7 or Soi33 (except a mamasan owning a car) come to work on cars.

[color:"blue"]

Sitting at Big Dogs on the entrace to NEP, I always see a certain tall *lady* parking her new car at Nana and walking to work dressed impeccably.

Also a friend of mine picked up a lady at Thermae once and she drove him to Nana in her car!!! I guess there was no need to pay for the taxi :hubba:

[/color]

I thought it was quite a clever idea but I didn't say anything about the two year depreciation of the value of the car!!!!

This is what beat's me in LOS :banghead: they just cannot do simple calculation to know that in the end, she is the looser and the bank is making a cool sum from her. I end-up somtimes arguing with people to drive some sense but in the end TIT :rolleyes:

cheers

vinod

This is what beat's me in LOS :banghead: they just cannot do simple calculation to know that in the end, she is the looser and the bank is making a cool sum from her. I end-up somtimes arguing with people to drive some sense but in the end TIT :rolleyes:

cheers

vinod

From what I see at home, many people in the US seem incapable of making the same calculation. Don't think this is limited to Thais.

I am also amazed that the Thai lass thought this was a serious way to squirrel away a bit of money.

I guess it has to be something that is an obligatory regular payment that cannot be dodged. And to be honest I cannot come up with anything better - a fixed term deposit - well regular payments are not the norm nor obligatory.

I love the reference to the USA which has its own way of looking at debt. A car is advertised by how much you pay per month (the total price is of no relevance), and a $1000 money back sweetener is often offered (ie we will lend you more than you need). Still the place keeps going!

:dunno:

[color:"green"] I guess it has to be something that is an obligatory regular payment that cannot be dodged. And to be honest I cannot come up with anything better - a fixed term deposit - well regular payments are not the norm nor obligatory.

[/color]

What about buying land/real estate? This could generate rental income and the property could increase in value.

Archived