Living with a Thai girl.

Cyborg

Hate to deviate but with respect to who "respects" the King and implied power in Thailand is there not a very powerful Monk who can just walk up to the King and say the Thailand equivalent of "hey dude whats going on?". I heard that this guy has so much power he can be very informal with the King and the King, knowing just who he is cannot take offense. Can someone tell me what this Monk is and why he is so powerful? Or did I hear a falsity?

Oneye

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine, there are many different types of power. One way of breaking it down is formal power and informal power. Yes, the Thai King is subject to the Law of the Country as European Kings are, but here, he justly holds the respect of the people. This gives him tremendous informal power which he can choose to solve problems (as he has done in the past) or make changes.

<<burp>>

Hi Jasmine,

You are right in the fact that the thai king has no designated official power under the constitution or anything like that.

But I`d still claim that he holds real unofficial power and that he indeed is a factor to consider also by the people who hold the official power.

As you said yourself the power of love and veneration that the people of Thaland have for him should not be underestimated.

I seem to recall reading there was several attempts to make a coup d`etat in Thailand in the 1980`s. When it was known that the coup makers lacked the support of the king, they realized that they could not be successfull. Or so was the word on the street anyway.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

TO ALL,

This thread is about living with a Thai girl and not about royalty which is an off-topic subject of this board.

I would hate to see this discussion degenerating down and hence lets revert to the topic at hand before I have to close it down...... sorry.

Cheers - BB - moderating

Hi,

[color:"red"] I seem to recall reading there was several attempts to make a coup d`etat in Thailand in the 1980`s. When it was known that the coup makers lacked the support of the king, they realized that they could not be successfull. Or so was the word on the street anyway.

[/color]

The latest one (somewhat like coup détat) was in May 1992. Remember it well because Hubby and I happened to be Bangkok. We stayed in the Royal Hotel which that evening after we left to go North, there was shootings and 2 tourists were killed, students were killed. It lasted 3 - 5 days and the King came ot and told the 2 leaders to stop. I remember wathcing them (King and the 2 leaders) on TV and both of them said they were doing it for Thailand, their country. I remember hearing the King said "Thailand is Not only yours, it belongs to all Thai people and you are going to stop".

That was my first experience in that type of chaos and my brother kept saying that (all that time) that it would take the King to stop and I didn't believe him!!! I was a littlle stupid being away from Thailand for so long. :doah:

I believe the faith and power of love is the most strong element of all powers. IMO, without the King's influence, there would have been worse poverty in Thailand for a lot of people are doing things for charity now, are actually doing it because of his example. Many Thais (comfortable and rich ones) seem to ignore or insensitive of the poor ones, saying it to be their "Karma" to be poor or disadvantaged. :(

Cheers!

Congratualtions Cyborg, I'm not surprised that you are so happy with your TG. You won't find a Norwegian (beauties though they are) who can match your TG . I returned from BK a destroyed man - why the f*ck did I ever end up in Norway !. :banghead:, ok its a bit better than the UK. By the way I put ON more than 10 kg after arriving in Norway. I often feel sorry for Thais living in Norge, as it's the total opposite of thailand, I would be interested to hear what your TG likes about the place. Life sounds like fun for you now - enjoy, but eventually you will get to the stage of "where do we go next" -i.e. Marriage -kids, security, mortgage... Sounds like a US soap opera as you walk thru the door

- "Honey I'm home --- hmmm that tom ka gai smells good "

- " have a nice day at the office honey"

- " ooh I missed you darling" ....

- "fancy a shag ?" :hubba:

-" hmm - have shower first"....

She (well most wimmin) will get bored of that. Encourage her to work, Norge is the place to have kids, if she works for 9mths, she can get 80% pay for 1 year. There are few places in the world like this. Norway (and Sweden) is the place to have kids. Anyway you have 2 fantastic countries to live in. Don't take her for granted, use a condom on your trips or that hot soup'll end up in ya lap... treat her well and best of lick. Oops, I mean Luck .... ::

Archived