Tourist littering fine rip off!

Lusty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cost to repay the favor may be too high

I quite agree.

My wife's cousin married the grandson of one of the most powerful politicians in Central Thailand. I've met him and we got off very well. I wouldn't remotely think of contacting him unless I was in absolutely desperate straits. I figure I can probably ask for one favor so I'd better save it for something important. If I called him up to take care of a littering fine his view of me would diminish greatly (i.e. Nah dtairk) and I doubt my phone calls would be returned there after.

Me I would try to talk the cops into lowering the fine and then just suck it up to experience.

MUST? You MUST be kidding. MUST is a word in Thailand that is rarely used...

It MUST be applied to the Farang! That is the only application of MUST that I know about! LOL

Oneye

I'm with you on this. People should not be chucking rubbish around. The fine is expensive by Thai standards and it is a slap in the face that only farangs get hit with it, given that Thais are real litterbugs and are those responsilbe for most of the crap that is thrown out on the streets, BUT, there are signs ALL OVER THE PLACE IN ENGLISH warning people not to litter...

Stick

I drove up North on the 2nd day of the songkran holiday. The litter on the main roads was just unbelievable. Every petrol station forecourt was a sea of plastic bags. Along the road side there was so much plastic attached to the plant life from a distance it looked like ther had been a severe snowstorm. What would happen without the good old scavengers picking it all up for reycling?

I got caught out with this 2 days after I moved here from Singapore. Same sceanrio as all you others however I take issue with the point about littering. In Singapore there are rubbish bins with little ashtrays on the lid of the bin every 50 metres along the main streets. There is no litter in Singapore because wisely they put out enough bins and everyone is aware of the fines. There are hardly any bins on Sukhumvit where the police are prowling catching out farangs. Coming from Singapore I am paranoid about litter so if there was a bin I'd use it.

Back to the fine - copper showed me the sign and asked where I come from - I gave passport and said I live in Singapore. He said OK first time and 200 baht fine. He then insisted on giving me the receipt all correctly completed !!

They seem to operate in two's and prowl along the SUK area between Times Square and Bangkok Bank (Soi 14-8) and around the JW Marriott. Also seen them on the other side around Soi 7.

Cheers

Yep, some years ago, when I still was a smoker, got stopped by cop on Pratunam after throwing butt on street. Fine was 2000, was brought to cop booth, made paper for 200 and I was happy to walk away giving only 200.

Now have a look here around the beach, thousands of plastic bags littering everything. No cops to fine people on the beach, would be nice extra income though...

Me believe the thai people need some eduction to stop littering.

May be Thung Wua Laen beach does not have return farang tourists because the place is looking more and more like a dump??? Any thais out thinking there??

Guest lazyphil

<<May be Thung Wua Laen beach does not have return farang tourists because the place is looking more and more like a dump??? Any thais out thinking there??>>

On the grand sceme of things dropping a fag butt isn't so terrible, however lets not turn this around on the Thais, its rich tourists that fly 1000's of miles in massive fuel consuming/air polluting 747's of which the average Thai could never afford to do. Thai trips are not really crucial and mostly just for fun. So Thais can stop littering and falang can do without los trips (thus help reduce global warming, far more harmful than discarded plastic bags!!), not a nice idea though I know ::

Says Falang:

[color:"blue"] "One thing I will say they were very polite and nice the whole time and so was I. I spoke to them in Thai and at the end of the whole episode they were acting like my friends."
[/color]

I was fine once in Patong, not for littering but for the helmet law. I went to the police station to pay the fine so that I can have the motorbike back, I must say they were very polite and nice to me, only a 200 baht fine. Now every time I go to Patong I go see these 2 boys in brown and we go drink a few beers or mekong together. It is good to have them has friends because they always say to me that if I ran on some trouble I can always call them for help.

For a small fee no doubt ::

Archived