Tourist littering fine rip off!

Lusty

Okay, call me a hardline prick, but even if they didn't just target farangs, I think anyone's ass who carelessly litters should be fined.

Shouldn't be done in the first place, my only complaint is that it is not globally enforced, then what is here in Thailand besides breathing (and even that has exceptions!!!!)

<<burp>>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I agree that littering is bad and have no problem with the fine. What is pissing me off about this is that they are targeting farangs who drop bio-degradable trash, yet ignore Thais who drop plastic bags and other junk that will still be around long after all of us are dead.

Sanuk!

Says khunsanuk:

I have never heard of a Thai being charged with this, nor have I ever seen any signs outside of the main tourist areas.

About 1 yr ago I saw a Thai spitting on the street right in front of the police (as he was quite surprised, I think he didn't see the police men though). He was beckoned and I saw some THB 100s changing the owner. This happened on sukh between soi 24 and soi 18(?).

I agree that littering is bad and have no problem with the fine.

The problem is that the police even try to fine you if you don't litter. Two policemen stopped me once on sukhumvit road and claimed that I had been dropping some cigarette butt. I was so amused by this claim that I began to laugh! ::

Not as sure as before they told me that this is forbidden. I laughed even more and told them that this wasn't possible because I didn't smoke. They looked very puzzled. But there was no way how I could hide a cigarette. So finally they gave up.

Best regards

[color:"blue"] "One thing I will say they were very polite and nice the whole time and so was I. I spoke to them in Thai and at the end of the whole episode they were acting like my friends." [/color]

I was fine once in Patong, not for littering but for the helmet law. I went to the police station to pay the fine so that I can have the motorbike back, I must say they were very polite and nice to me, only a 200 baht fine. Now every time I go to Patong I go see these 2 boys in brown and we go drink a few beers or mekong together. It is good to have them has friends because they always say to me that if I ran on some trouble I can always call them for help.

Says rusty:

I phoned the Inspector,spoke to him and made my identity known then handed him my mobile.

good idea...now all you have to do to square things with the inspector is to carry that package back from burma for him next time.

Archived