Tourist littering fine rip off!

Lusty

I was at the exchange booth the other day changing some t/c,s and dropped a fag butt.As I walked away a copper pulled me up for littering and marched me to the police box and showed me a sign which was in Thai and not even on display but leaning against the wall inside the police box ::.

"Littering same same as in Singerpore,2000bht fine,you pay now"he said.

"Me not pay now,I make phone call to my friend me Chief Inspector P**** in Udon Thani"

I phoned the Inspector,spoke to him and made my identity known then handed him my mobile.

3 mins later"You friend of big policeman in Udon Thani,ok 200bhts. :neener:

Gents,don't get caught out with the littering scam in the tourist spots ::.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a client caught out in bkk last week.

Dropped a butt at the bottom of the stairs at the overhead foot bridge from the Grayson centre.

Cops stopped him as he got to the steps leading to the World Trade Centre.

Walked him all the way back picked up the butt walked OVER the Bridge to where there was a bin(no bins from the bottom of walkway to WTC.

Pulled out a geen card and written in English (palm size card)

2000 fine .

Said to him how much you pay?

First time to bkk said i dont know.

well pay 1000 or 2000 at the station.

The higher ranking cop walked away and nbr 2 cop took the 1000 and all went on thier merry way.

TIT ::

Where's the rip off, you were guilty were you not? and got let off for 200 baht. In UK (shit hole Leicester) the fine is 50 quid. I don't think the amount would go down if a thai were to be stopped here and said hang on I want to speak to an inspector in Manchester.-peter

Same thing happened to me over a year ago. I popped in to the pharmacy between soi Nana and the expressway on the Nana side. I looked around and didn't see any police. When I came out the cop was standing there with the burning cigarette in his hand. He grabbed me by the arm paraded me over to the kiosk nearby and produced a nicely done brochure all in English about a 2000 Baht fine. Certainly targeting the falang tourist.

They asked me for my ID and I showed him my Thai drivers license. I think that threw them a curve because they knew I wasn't a tourist. One of the two cops asked me if I worked in Thailand and I replied yes. Actually our Thai partner is a M. L. member of the Royal Family. I told them I only had a few hundred Baht on me and showed them my wallet to prove it. I had just given my girlfriend some money.

They eventually agreed to a fine of 300 Baht and I paid them and signed some sort of ticket or confession . When I left I needed to head to the ATM for some more money I looked at the ticket and noticed they had only put 200 Baht on the paper. They had kept a hundred for themseleves . Seemed like a lot of trouble to go through for 50 Baht each. One thing I will say they were very polite and nice the whole time and so was I. I spoke to them in Thai and at the end of the whole episode they were acting like my friends.

One thing though I am now a little bit paranoid when walking down Sukumvit and smoking.

LL

Archived