Tourist littering fine rip off!

Lusty

[color:"red"] I have never heard of a Thai being charged with this [/color]

I ride a motorcycle taxi everyday and often it is the same guy giving me a ride. I smoke on the back of the bike and he warned me not to let the cops see me drop my cig butt.

He seemed to think both Thais and farangs get fined for this one. As a motorcycle taxi driver he ios certainly at the low end of the totem pole and he is definately shit on and extorted for more bribes in one week than I have ever paid in my time here.

So he is definately of one group of Thai society that has it much wqorse with the police than any farang tourist.

Also, I agree that if they want to enforce a litter fine, they should have trash bins conveniently placed. I have walked for blocks on Suk with an empty coke can in my hand looking for a place to put it.

I wonder if dropping it on any of the huge trash heaps, that aren't in, near or even around a bin, is still a fine or not.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says rusty:

I phoned the Inspector,spoke to him and made my identity known then handed him my mobile.

3 mins later"You friend of big policeman in Udon Thani,ok 200bhts.
:neener:

You actually went through the trouble of calling a police friend for a 2000bt fine?

You could have negotiated a lower fine yourself. I would only use favors for important issues not a miniscule one for which you were actually guilty of committing.

I hope that you don't make a habit of calling your "friend" because one day the well might run dry. Then again we don't know what you have done or are capable of doing for him so maybe you have that sort of leeway to use his authority in that manner.

I ALSO think it's all kind of ridiculous because there are hardly ANY garbage cans anywhere in bangkok. Sometimes I carry a piece of garbage in my hand for an hour before i find a can to put in it (or a pile of garbage on the sidewalk).

What about Kao San Road. You often seen empty food containers etc on the side of roads. Do they even bother to fine you down this street given that you often have to go out of your way to seek out a bin at night time and the ones outside of a 7/11 are also overflowing.

A Thai friend was fined for throwing a cigarette butt on Silom. The difference was that he was immediately asked for 200 baht which I suspect is the correct fine for a cig butt, and not the ridiculous sum of 2000 which is the maximum fine for littering (like if you throw away your car on Sukhumvit).

"I have walked for blocks on Suk with an empty coke can in my hand looking for a place to put it."

You don't live in the same Bangkok that I do. Sukhumvit, especially lower than Soi 77, there are trash receptacles all over the place. Around the poles, in front of the 7-11's and minimarts. It's hard NOT to find one.

<<burp>>

[color:"green"] It's hard NOT to find one. [/color]

Until you need one. :grinyes: You should count the number of trash bins between NEP and SC on the even soi side of Suk. :cussing: few bins around. Or walk from Thong Lor to Ekkamai. Very few. Or walk from the Oriental Hotel to Riverside Mall.

You must always take taxis or the BTS. ::

Archived