PDA

AF16

PDA

I?m not familiar with PDA?s and would like some info. I?d like to send / receive emails from my GF who does not have a PC at the place she currently resides.

Sending SMS gets a bit boring as the screen is to little and the messages gets to small.

A few questions.

You need a PDA and a phone with IR/Bluetooth right?

What is the price for an email vs an SMS?

Can you write in both Thai and English with an PDA (software upgrade?)

I understand that you get a smaller version of programs like Word with the PDA (or can buy). Does it have English spelling correction and thesaurus? Can one get a Thai version of Word to it, and can one have both inside at the same time?

Finaly how is the price of a PDA in Thailand vs the US?

I recently bought an iPaq and an ericsson t68 mobile (work perfectly together using Bluetooth)

PDA has word, Excell, Powerpoint, MSN Messenger.... etc etc..

Various ways to input including a great hand writing recognition program. Has full internet access... and a great program for turning your PDA into a remote control for just about anything!!! Its great in places like Gulivers when there is a big match on the TV...!!! :)

Good deals can be had, but do some searching... i found prices varying from 19,000 to 26,000 Baht!!

I also got a Thai software package thrown in... I haven't used it though so cannot answer your question...

It does include a spell check with the 'word" program though..

Any more info needed, just ask.

Cheers

Roger

Hi!

Let me -- as a long time owner of a Palm PDA and now a Sony-Ericsson P800 -- take on your questions:

You need a PDA and a phone with IR/Bluetooth right?

Yes, or you could perhaps use a cable between phone and PDA/Computer. If you use a GSM telephone your subscription must be able to send/receive data. This is often sold at an extra charge per month (usually not very much though). Naturally, you also need an Internet Service Provider for the mailbox, log in etc for the e-mail.

What is the price for an email vs an SMS?

Email will work just the way it works from a stationary/laptop computer, i.e. you pay your Internet Service Provider and you pay for the time the phone call is made. I dunno about SMS-cost in Thailand as I've never bothered to check...

Can you write in both Thai and English with an PDA (software upgrade?)

I've never been able to on my Palm and currently I cannot on my P800. It doesn't seem unlikely however that there are software upgrades available...

I understand that you get a smaller version of programs like Word with the PDA (or can buy). Does it have English spelling correction and thesaurus? Can one get a Thai version of Word to it, and can one have both inside at the same time?

I really don't know to well about the Microsoft Windows based PDA's but on others the word processing ability is very rudimentary. Thai and English versions? I simply don't know...

Finaly how is the price of a PDA in Thailand vs the US?

Prices on electronics is generally much lower in the U.S. The Thai government put high taxes/tolls on imported goods.

Quote: as a long time owner of a Palm PDA and now a Sony-Ericsson P800 --

I'm in exactly the same situation. Replaced my Siemens SL45i phone and Palm III with the P800 the first week that the P800 came out in Thailand. Paid 33,000 baht. But it replaced 2 devices, so it's a savings.

I know that you know the following, but I'm now writing for the general audience.....

About cost of SMS, I use SMS a lot. Maybe about 20-30 a day. I think it's a couple of baht per SMS. With the P800, you use the hand-writing recognition software. You simply write the note. Much better S/W than the Palm.

The P800 includes viewers for Word, excel, Acrobat, etc etc. I haven't looked for SW that can write in those formats, but I'm assuming it's there or soon will be there.. (See Java comment below)

It synchronizes beautifully with my MS Outlook. So my calender, contact list, notes, etc etc are synched.

It runs MP3 files in stereo.

It runs Java apps, so I'm sure that whatever software you want to get, you can get. If the specific SW is not out now, then it should be available soon.

I also use it to browse the Internet, but I think that is quite expensive. I use the GPRS (rather than WAP) connection which gives pretty high throughput. (I think it goes up to about 120kbps, but more likely in Thailand the actual speed is around 40. I think.)

AF16 should consider the P800 as there's nothing on the market now with the same features. Yet. I would expect other companies to come out with the same capabilities later.

I agree with that! :)

I do feel however that the P800 may not be as strong in PDA functionality as the Palm . The convenience of two devices in one, together with the remarkable hand recognition system, outweighs that though. The phone in itself is very good as well!

Archived