What you miss most in Farang Land?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I hear that, cant wait to get back home next week and pull my cars outa storage, although I do like being able to do 100+ mph down the highway in Thailand and not even have to think about speed cameras!

I spose thats one thing we dont contemplate buying here, unless we are big company expats or real long termers, is a car. Its taken Stick over 5 years to really become permanent, and buy a car, its a big issue as noone wants to get stuck having to sell something so valuable when leaving a country after only a couple of years..

Says New Petchburi Pete:

Real pizza! I mean, real pizza!

Foliage & Fall in New England.

The Irish pubs of Boston and

Cape Cod ,,, fishing for stripers!

A little geography lesson

Irish pub's are only found in Ireland

Real pizza come's from Italy ::

and where might the ONE place be that you CAN find all these intangibles
Obviously it is a matter of degree. And I believe it is equally obvious that no place does a perfect job of securing these intangibles. But that is not the point.

The point is that Thailand is very weak on these intangibles compared with "Farangland", which I take to be a short-hand expression for the West. Although the U.S. is far from perfect and I take issue with many of its policies, it is much stronger on providing these intangibles than Thailand.

These intangibles are the sorts of things that Farangs - or at least this Farang - don't miss or even notice at first, but after awhile here you start to take notice of these sorts of things. You also begin to appreciate how important they are and miss them. Hence, my response to the question about what I miss most about Farangland.

Archived