Another Bangkok property bubble in the making?

JJsushi

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe he was going to form a company for the purchase of land...I think I remember seeing something in Legal forum about this!!

So WYD, how are you doing this?

SB.

We're also thinking about real estate, with no intention of rushing into anything.

I also see rampant redevelopment, new construction either underway, or about to be, plus land being cleared for construction. I've been looking (on the surfce) between Sukhumvit and New Petchburi Rd., between Phrom Pong and

Ekamai ... I'm surprised how expensive anything decent

is. The side sois can be quiet, and I think the best opportunities are in townhouses.

Then, we also entertain the thought of living away from Bangkok ... there are some decent houses for sale in the Jomtien area that are much more affordable than anything in BKK ... but, then for us, our main concern is the education of our son, and the quality of schools there (availability of good, private schools) is an unknown as of yet. Again, we are in no big hurry ... rent is still cheap!

Being legally married and hopefully apply for my residency permit in Dec, I dont really see a problem about buying land.

Many legal ways to do it. company, put it in childrens name, wifes name etc. It is really is a non issue. I have known a few westerns that have done it, with no hassles. Contact a real estate lawyer if you want to know more

Hi,

Do you really think that being legally married would make any difference if the land is in her name? I mean does Thailand honor 'communal goods' (*) this when splitting up the goods in the case of a divorce.

Sanuk!

(*) Sorry don't know how to call this in English, I mean things that you buy after being married and which belong 50-50 to the both of you.

For one, I do beleive it the voes that I took until death does us part.. but if a man does not trust the future of the marriage then dont do it, or set up a ltd company and do it through that.. A guy at work is presently looking at buying a 10milion bhat place and doing it this way.

I have no problem with putting it in my wifes name and then having a leasing agreement and a clause that the land goes into trust in the childs name. In case something happens to my wife I dont want to be left on the street as a homeless widow so things will be done to protect the families financial interest. As my wife says she would not want to kick me out since the mortage would be too much for her.. so just keep it a long mortgage. You might be in trouble if she wins the lottary though ;) I know of 2 guys off the board who have done it this way successfully

I?m looking around for a wood stilt house design that would stand on a leased/freehold lot and could be dismantled and moved to another location if needs be. Lived in something like that on the banks of the River Men for a few months and loved it, huge veranda overlooking the river, outdoor kitchen.

JJushi - My opinion is that the property market in Bangkok is clearly revving up and into 2nd gear from the stalled motor situation as a result of 97. Is it going to get up into 4th gear? Well if we knew that we wouldn't need pension companies and the rest.

Personally, I still think if you want to buy a condo in central Bangkok, lower Sukhumvits on an accessible Soi, you will be unlikely to lose money. Doubt you will make much but depends what your buying it for. There are new 2 bedroom 110SQ M apartments being build in Soi 15 that have just been released for about 5MB. These would be worth considering as there will always be a ready rental market at around 30,000-40,000B month for these places. potentially you could be looking at about 8% return if u let it out but dont forget you have to pay for the fitting out - most new apts come as shells.

Secondhand properties are not often favoured by Thai's simply becasuse they feel the building is XX many years old and therefore XX Many years nearer to its collapse and newer more flashy buildings look better.

Is it good to buy generally? It must be in my opinion as property values in Thailand are still some of the lowest in the region. Many Singapore property companies are quietly picking up hotels, serviced apartments etc as they see the opportunity is there in the long term.

Would I buy in Bangkok? No - I feel there are better opportunities in the developing commercial areas of Thailand, coupled with the fact that I dont see my future being in Bangkok. If I did, I would buy something such as the places in Soi 15. But I use property as an investment for income. For me, 6M Baht can buy you a sound 4 bedroom house with pool outside Pattaya nr the industrial development areas which you can rent out for double what u can achieve in Bangkok. Income is around 15% of investment cost.

I was reading the other day about an estate agency in Pattaya thats in the View Talay Condo building. Pretty much all they seem to do is rent out condo's from this condo on owners behalf to short term (1Month - 3 month+) visitors for owners who periodically come back to Pattaya. If they can generate enough business to provide a reasonable income, I would imagine its worth considering.

Cheers

Archived