Buy TG tix in BKK for flight origin overseas?

Palatkik

I recently picked up tickets at Bangkok airport for a work trip that were purchased and paid for by my company outside of Thailand. It was all done by wire though I am not sure what system they used to do this.

The question I have is can I buy TG tickets in Bangkok for example to pick up at the overseas airport for someone to come to Thailand from overseas? Was wondering if there is any saving to be made here as Bangkok has traditionally had cheap air tickets.

Cheers

Says Palatkik:

I recently picked up tickets at Bangkok airport for a work trip that were purchased and paid for by my company outside of Thailand. It was all done by wire though I am not sure what system they used to do this.

The question I have is can I buy TG tickets in Bangkok for example to pick up at the overseas airport for someone to come to Thailand from overseas? Was wondering if there is any saving to be made here as Bangkok has traditionally had cheap air tickets.

Cheers

Yes you can do that. The agency issues a PTA (Prepaid ticket advice) and sends it to the city where the flight originates. For fare calculation the agent/airline in Thailand usually takes the fare which is applicable in the country where the journey starts. You cannot save on the airfare if this is much cheaper out of Thailand for the same routing. Example:

Ticket London Bangkok London is UK pounds 500

Ticket Bangkok London Bangkok is (coverted into UK currency only UK pounds 300). You buy the ticket in Bangkok and you still have to pay the equivalent amount in Thai Baht of UK pounds 500.

Yes and this idea can be rather cost effective for those who travel back and forth!

Eg Round trip business class on Thai Bangkok-London.

93,780 baht - 1371 pounds sterling.

equivalent London-Bangkok

238,000 baht - 3490 pounds sterling.

Makes sense to start off with a one way ticket!

When I was based in Taiwan i used to be here every two weeks.

Typically Taipei - Bkk return was 30% MORE EXPENSIVE THAN bKK 0 tAIPEI RETURN.

i BOUGHT A 1 YEAR return ticket Taipei - Bangkok - Taipei, and the rest of the time used Bkk - Taipei - Bkk tickets

Saved a LOT of money doing so!

JB

Says jacko:

Yes and this idea can be rather cost effective for those who travel back and forth!

Eg Round trip business class on Thai Bangkok-London.

93,780 baht - 1371 pounds sterling.

equivalent London-Bangkok

238,000 baht - 3490 pounds sterling.

Makes sense to start off with a one way ticket!

I don't know where you buy your tickets from but I paid just over 1800pounds sterling each for two business class tkts on Thai (LHR-BKK-LHR). That was nearly 3 years ago though and I can't see how the fares have increased that much. Upgraded to 1st using FF miles.

Bought those tickets from EastWest travel in Acton ... sry , don't have their details anymore as I now purchase tkts in Thailand .

[color:"green"] COrrect we call it PTA Pax ticket airport also charge $50 fee for extra work.

Can not save on the fare as will be hurting the departure country and all hell would break loose if this was allowed to happen worldwide.

[/color]

But does it work in the reverse? I, in the USA, buy a ticket for a pax in BKK. Do I pay the USA price or the Thai price? :dunno:

The point I was making was that the regular fares originating out of Thailand are much much cheaper than originating out of UK.The prices I quoted where just that, rack prices. I would never personally pay so much - I would also search out the discounted biz class fares. One could save substantially by buying in Thailand, as you now do I see :bow:. I see the regular fare there equates to a hard searched discounted one in the UK. I find expedia has the best prices, although I don't want to get into the best prices/ search engine discussion.

EXPEDIA

Archived