Construction workers not being paid

khunsanuk

Hi,

My wife was on the phone with her younger brother yesterday and the resulting conversation really pissed me off.

The brother, along with another brother and a brother-in-law have been working on a construction site for the last 6 weeks. They were not paid at the end of the month, but were promised they would be the middle of this month. They were not. And worse is that they will not be paid at all. All they got was 1,000 Baht each, rather than the 8,000 or so owed. In other words the 3 of them were screwed out of roughly 20,000 Baht. A huge amount of money for guys like this.

I asked my wife whether or not they could report this to the police and the answer was expected. No, they don't care, it has to be 10 or more people before you can report this. Now coming from a Western country this seems utterly moronic. Why the fuck does there need to be a minimum of people being fucked over?

My feeling on this is that, as usual, the rich exploit the poor, knowing that the poor have no means of getting what is rightfully theirs.

My wife even mentioned that this is one of the main reasons her brothers do not like working, since apparently this happens quite often.

Sanuk!

PS If anybody knows of any way they would be able to get their money, I am willing to listen. Although I doubt that either my wife or they will pursue this.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"To add insult to injury to lodge a complaint they each have to pay 400 baht at the police station for the 'privilage' of doing so."

You have gotta be fucking kidding!?!?! :banghead:

So, let's see if I got this right. You need a minimum of 10 people to complain, who each need to pay 400 Baht (i.e 2 days pay!!!). This means that the cops need to receive 4,000 Baht before they bother getting off their ass.

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

What sort of fucked up place is Thailand??.....its little wonder you get women selling their bodies (after all i see plenty of female construction workers) to falangs, at least they get tax free instant cash payments. I cant blame them :D

This means that the cops need to receive 4,000 Baht before they bother getting off their ass.

---------------------------------------------

i am not surprised, seems to go along with everything I heard or witnessed thru much of my trips. When police needs to get involved, many thais back off, and this bakshish crap seems the main reason why. Still, they may bribe the cops and find out nothing will be done, because the construction site people are connected well enough. If the workers were from Burma, not only would they not get paid, but most likely been reported and deported to an uncertaion fate back in Burma. TIT in all its f...g shame!

Hi,

"Still, they may bribe the cops and find out nothing will be done, because the construction site people are connected well enough."

Yep, that is what I am concerned about as well. If I thought that getting the police involved would give them a good chance of getting their money back, I would be willing to front the cash.

The way it is though, I do not see any point.

All of this does put a whole new perspective on 'those lazy Thai guys upcountry'. I, too, would not have much incentive to go work if there was a chance I would not get paid for it.

Sanuk!

The police is not the right people to go to for this type of case, They can not do anything in this type of situation, Get your wife to call the Ministry of Labour Protection and Welfare, If they where working for a company that is legitimate and legal they will be able to help and they will, They help employees all the time and workers here do have more rights than most would believe, If they are working for a small fly by night company then it will be more of a problem to sort out,

Archived