Construction workers not being paid

khunsanuk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<Had a quick check online and easily found a list of links to the different ministries and departments. Ironically though the link to Department of Labour Protection and Welfare is dead>>

What is it they/we say?......oh yeah, TIT!!!!!

My Gfs cousin worked in a restaurant in CM. They started fining her for really stupid things and she quit. They refused to pay her. She went to the polic who went straight to the restaurant. They warned the owner that since she had used the labor of her body they were required to pay up. They did so on the spot, and no docking of pay. So I would not be so quick to say the police would not do anything. GF is adamant that they should report this. Of course pissing off a restaurant owner is not the same as doing the same to a construction crew!

BTW, it sounds pretty much like being a roofer in teh USA!

In other words the 3 of them were screwed out of roughly 20,000 Baht. A huge amount of money for guys like this.

A good lesson too for people on this board thinking that thais only want to scam farangs. When thai people get scammed, it's usually for a much bigger amount.

Come on people, think before you complain again about two tier pricing.

it is called actually the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare krom sawatdee kan lae khum khrong raengngarn in the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare.

this link gives adresses in english and thai and phone numbers.

Dpartment of Labour Protection and Welfare

Thailand has even a Labor Protection Act in their legislation; among others there are

maximum working of employment

overtime rates

minimum wages

sick leaves

minimum severance payments

etc.

however there is a lack of implementation, in particular at smaller "companies" which are not even registered as probably in the case described

Hi,

"however there is a lack of implementation, in particular at smaller "companies" which are not even registered as probably in the case described"

Yep, that is the case here. Just a foreman who hires a crew on a job by job basis. AFAIK there was no paperwork what so ever involved with this.

Thanks for the link (Racha send me the same on btw). I assume we need the Legal Affairs Division Director, right? Or the Labour Welfare Division Director?

Sanuk!

i had the same problem once with my missus's brothers. i even went to the employer and discussed this with him. he then brought out paperwork (!?) where according to him they were have got that many advances thet they owned money to him. what a bullshit.

i am afraid that the ministry will not be of much help, just recently the laid off labours of the bed and bath factory had to camp in the ministry grounds for months before they were able to get what they were supposed to get. massive union involvement as well.

my advice would be to try to contact some union guys and ask them first what the chances would be. given that as usual it was labour without contract i would guess that the chances are very small.

Hi,

"given that as usual it was labour without contract i would guess that the chances are very small."

This is what I am afraid of as well.

Anyway, just spoke to my wife and she said that the guy is supposed to pay them tomorrow, so I guess we will wait until then.

Sanuk!

My girlfriend's father recently had the same problem as well. He was working, along with several other men from the same town, on a construction project in Krabi building a bungalow resort. They worked for about three months, but only were paid for the first month. After the first month the boss gave them line after line of bullshit telling them how he would pay them soon. Eventually they packed up and went home without pay for the last 6 weeks or so of work.

These guys are not out there working for the exercise, they have families to feed and kids to send to school. As in previous replys on the subject, they too didn't have a contract so the chances of them ever getting paid is basicly zero. It's a damn shame to see how they were treated.

The kicker is that now the boss has brought in a new crew of workers and is completing the project without paying the first set. I hope the second crew gets paid.

Its been a very frustrating situation for the men who were working there and it amazes me how they are able to get on with their lives and start right up with another project(this time closer to home).

Archived