Construction workers not being paid

khunsanuk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bhat-Man is referring that it is a criminal case only from a legal stand point and not meaning you would go to the police direct, I would say that if you went to the police they can do nothing but only refer you to the ministry of labor, the ministry then would press the charges against the employer, if the employer did not comply with the rules,

I share your sentiments as an employer , I also know the troubles the Labor Department can make for you here in LOS,

I?d like to share a similar experience.

I have a friend who accepted a job as a hotel receptionist in Bangkok. She gave up her job in Chiang Mai to accept the new job. After travelling down, to her horror, she found that the hotel was still under development. In the interim, the employer had arranged massage tutorage for her with a number of other girls. The short-term plan being that the girls would learn massage and then deliver the service in local hotels. This option presented a very different proposition and she felt trapped.

Returning home with no job or money raised a serious face issue for the girl and she considered extending her stay in the city until another job came up. She is the main breadwinner of the family

She feels naive, stupid and let down by a girlfriend who recommended the job. Unfair but arguably little anyone could do to redress the matter, I bet it happens a lot and I bet there are many other stories out there.

A similar incident led my ex GF into the bar scene in the first place. At least most farangs are honest and pay cash promptly for services rendered. She used to work in a supermarket in Bangkok. She had to pay 1,500 baht upfront for uniforms which she was promised would be refunded after 3 months work. Apparently they routinely sack employees after 2.5 months and pocket the uniform money. I told her that if something like that happened to me, I?d hurl a bloody great brick through their plate glass window in the middle of the night. She said,?Supermarket boss have more money than me. Police catch me.?

Heard of a similar incident with a gogo bar that went bust on Walking Street, Pattaya a few weeks ago. Owner did a runner without paying the girls their month?s pay. The owner must have known the bar was doing badly and cynically exploited the girls for the final month, before vanishing to Bangkok.

Why don?t workers in LOS insist on payment on a weekly basis as happens in many western countries, so they can smell a rat earlier on in the scam? How about some legislation from the Thais Who Love Thais party?

There?s seems to be a need for a Thai BG Forum like Nanaplaza.com, so that they could warn each other about scams and gossip about ?. us??. ooops :doah: Many are computer literate enough, if the netcafes in Pattaya full of girls emailing boyfriends are anything to go by.

Just for the record, the quote :

-------------------------------------------------------------

What sort of fucked up place is Thailand??.....

-------------------------------------------------------------

is out of place in my opinion. Here in Germany exactly the same, but on a much more bigger scale happens every day.

And absolutly nothing against it can be done. No lawyer , no police will do anything.

So it should be:

What sort of fucked up place is the World??.....

It is not meant as a justify for those criminal acts, big or small.

I just think that Thailand is not better or worser than any other countgry on earth.

The so called civilization is a joke.

Just my take on that matter.

mupfel

[color:"green"] Here in Germany exactly the same, but on a much more bigger scale happens every day.

And absolutly nothing against it can be done. No lawyer , no police will do anything.

[/color]

Please explain. Germany has strong unions in the construction business. They would not let an employer do this to their members. Plus if the employer is not paying the workers, he is probably not paying taxes either. The tax man would be all over his ass.

Mupfel?s statement is correct and not correct. I think it needs some clarification. In Germany there is a huge labor force of illegal immigrants, mostly Eastern Europeans, who are often scammed by scrupulous employers. I do not agree that the police don?t do anything about it. Fact is that the police cannot be at each and every construction site to check about legal and illegal workers.

I knew when i wrote this post that the "Germany has strong rules and unions etc" thing would be brought up.

But i wont held a "How business is run in the real world" - lecture here. Simply because it would be offtopic and my english is not good enough for such a matter (By the way i usualy get payed for this :o).

My point was simply that Thailand is not more or less fucked up than any other of the so called civilizationed nations around the world.

And now just a short statement to shygye's question.

I was and still are running my business for nearly all of my life. I know what i am talking about. I have seen it all ( sorry to sound a bit like a smartass ) and you can put all the "strong unions" and the laws and throw them in the dustbin. Over a few drinks i could tell you a few stories about the whole business-system (regardless if things happen in LOS, Germany or anywhere else) that have actually fucked up the lifes of many, many people and everything was straight in line with law and order. I escaped exactly this fate by pure luck and knowing the "right guys" for at least three times in my so called career. If i would have relyed on rules and regulationes i would be siting under some brigde right now and would have lost my little bit of sanity already long ago.

Sorry to say, but i know that its true. It is just a matter of money and a smart lawyer and you can get away with everything everywhere. Okay, enough of this.

Lets talk about Thailand, thats why we are here, arent we?

Just my take on things.

mupfel

Archived