Airline / Credit Card reward programs

gobbledonk

Does anyone have a rewards program that they can reccommend ? I'm after something where spending several thousand on my credit card actually gets me a decent number of 'air points' or whatever each airline calls their scheme. I've just been looking at Air New Zealand's scheme and it confused the hell out of me : I dont want access to the business lounge, just discounted fares !

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Jai-Dee. $50K is pretty steep for this little black duck, but it does give me some idea of whats required. I may just stick with my existing credit card, as membership in the rewards program isnt costing me any extra. The other aspect is that I never seem to fly with the same airline twice - always go for the cheapest flight and/or most direct route. C'est La Vie.

Artiew, I still think it's a very good value. If you use cc reward points for buying goods or shopping vouchers you'd be lucky to get more than 0.75c per dollar spent. If you use them to buy a Qantas flight you can get as much as 2c for a dollar.

For example, BNE-BKK costs around $1000 in September, if you buy it with points that's 2% on your $50K. And award flights are season-independent and have no min/max time restrictions. You can choose the most direct route and most convenient times, can fly all OneWorld airlines, provided you book early enough.

With some merchants you can earn double or even triple points for every $.

EVA air is worth checking out, award cheques are issued based on milage flown, these are exchangable for upgrades or free flights (need quite a lot for a flight.) Other benefits include priority check in, priority baggage handling, use of first class check in, extra baggage allowance, automatic confirmation of tickets, priority wait list on fully booked flights, money off hotels and cars ect. and use of VIP lounge. I am usually able to pick up a cheap flight as well £450ish UK to BKK :up:

Artiew, I still think it's a very good value. If you use cc reward points for buying goods or shopping vouchers you'd be lucky to get more than 0.75c per dollar spent. If you use them to buy a Qantas flight you can get as much as 2c for a dollar.

For example, BNE-BKK costs around $1000 in September, if you buy it with points that's 2% on your $50K. And award flights are season-independent and have no min/max time restrictions. You can choose the most direct route and most convenient times, can fly all OneWorld airlines, provided you book early enough.

With some merchants you can earn double or even triple points for every $.

If you use the cc and pay all or many household or other bills it doesnt take long to add up and get a free flight.

Dont forget however you must book way in advance and your arrangements may not allow a forward booking.

Also there is a 5000 point penalty if you change (depends on some factors) you can push the dates around once you do have a booking,but try and change the routing you will be charged extra points.

And if say fly to bkk and flew QF and back with BA (same scheme) no way QF allows you to alter the ticket so have to return on original date booked (no extension etc).

Still if you get organised is a good and popular rewards programe.

You also need to take into account the annual fee for the credit card (assuming there is one). If you do that, your 2c per dollar would drop somewhat, depending on how long it takes you to accumulate the points for the flight.

That sounds like a good deal to me as where I come from I never tend to get more than 1 FF point per every GBP spent, which means a lot more money than the equalent australian!

Still BA is on oneworld & the points amount to the same value, so basically I'm fucked!

The same goes in the star alliance where as a SAS member I need to spend the 1gbp equalent to earn an airmile :banghead:

It seems all the great FF schemes are either in US or OZ :dunno:

Enjoy ;)

Says Mongatu:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

You also need to take into account the annual fee for the credit card (assuming there is one). If you do that, your 2c per dollar would drop somewhat, depending on how long it takes you to accumulate the points for the flight.

Our annual fees are not to much.

vary from card/bank etc 30-40 AUD amex 60AUd.

Not a lot to take into account when collecting points.

QF often have a (points Special) usually to asian destinations so is a great deal over a longer term IMO :up:

Archived