Airline / Credit Card reward programs

gobbledonk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Does anyone have a rewards program that they can reccommend ? I'm after something where spending several thousand on my credit card actually gets me a decent number of 'air points' or whatever each airline calls their scheme. I've just been looking at Air New Zealand's scheme and it confused the hell out of me : I dont want access to the business lounge, just discounted fares !

Ok. You have two big choices: OneWorld (BA, QF, AA..) and StarAlliance (UA, TG, SQ, SAS...Ansett was there).

KoreanAir got kicked out from the StarAlliance, after several accidents.

Mickey Mouse companies are not in any of them. Emirates, for example, have not been admitted to any of the big two as yet. (AFAIK)

Eva, China Air, Air China...all out of the guild associations.

Virgin Blue is fine but still a local player in Oz.

Suppose, you already have a CC, fees are already there,nothing extra to pay for FF (except the joining fee).

If you are happy to go with companies not afiliated with one of the big two groups, not much advice can be tabled.

And, yes, you want to have access to business class lounge. Each of my visits there (you can get in regardless of which class you are travelling in) would have cost me 30-50A$ in champange and food.

Free food, showers, comfortable seats, no crowd, Internet, extra 10kg of baggage, priority baggage offload...

Check with your company, many have a 125A$ per year membeship with QF (otherwise, it is 400A$ or so to join).

My credentials: 600K miles with OneWorld in years 2000/2001.

Mickey Mouse companies are not in any of them. Emirates, for example, have not been admitted to any of the big two as yet. (AFAIK)

Sorry, but I've to correct you. Korean Airlines (KE) was never a member of Star Alliance. The Korean partner is ASIANA (OZ). Since Star Alliance was founded in the mid nineties there was never a member 'kicked out'. Ansett got bust.

As for Air China (CA). Watch the next couple of month. They'll join an alliance.......

>Sorry, but I've to correct you. Korean Airlines (KE) was never a member of Star Alliance. The Korean partner is ASIANA (OZ).

Sorry, I am not keeping all the articles, but there was one that said, after the crash of KAL aircraft in Guam (was it there or American Samoa?) in 1997, they kicked them out.

Can't remember, but I would have not made it up...must have read it somewhere. That accident was the second or third in 4 years and that was enough.

Sorry, but I've to correct you. Korean Airlines (KE) was never a member of Star Alliance. The Korean partner is ASIANA (OZ). Since Star Alliance was founded in the mid nineties there was never a member 'kicked out'. Ansett got bust.

As for Air China (CA). Watch the next couple of month. They'll join an alliance.......

Ansett went bust...

ask Oz agents all will say ANZ F*****ed them a could have saved the day and many jobs.

Most agents still avoid booking with Air NZ.

The whole thing cost agents heaps i may add...many networks were on incentives and a cheque each month if made targets.

My office was due for 120k and cheque is in the mail.

maybe get 7cents in the dollar once the dust (courts) battle is done. :doah:

KE had a lot of accidents but they?ve changed most of their pilots (they kicked them out) and applied very strict safety measures. KE can be considered to be safe now. Occasionally I use them on Korean domestic flights. Btw they're a member of Skyteam (same as Air France)

>Sorry, but I've to correct you. Korean Airlines (KE) was never a member of Star Alliance. The Korean partner is ASIANA (OZ). Since Star Alliance was founded in the mid nineties there was never a member 'kicked out'.

I think I can paddle back a little.

Maybe, what I read was about their application being rejected after those accidents.

Still not sure, but there was some smoke (not around their planes and charred bodies but around their membership with the StarAlliance).

I think I can paddle back a little.

Maybe, what I read was about their application being rejected after those accidents.

Still not sure, but there was some smoke (not around their planes and charred bodies but around their membership with the StarAlliance).

That could well be. Star Alliance checks the safety record of applicants very carefully.

Archived