Airline passenger details available to third party

Palatkik

It`s true for the US. There is a new regulation, that every airline that flies to the US has to transmit a passenger list with some Basic Informations (Names/Nationality etc.) to the american authorities before the plane reaches american soil. The american authorities then crosscheck these lists with their databases, for any suspicious or wanted people.

Cheers,

Daniel

I believe this information to be wrong. It is kind of reversed. We, the airlines, have a list put out by the government that we cross check our passengers against. This list came out shortly after 9/11 and has steadily gotten smaller but is still there. Until someone with some authority on the subject can confirm this, I dispute these types of statements. I work for a major international carrier based in the U.S. and know that I have never ever given passenger lists to the FAA. I haved worked in gateway cities with arrivals and departures to and from international destinations. I hope this isn't coming across as rude or condescending as it is certainly not meant to be. I just feel I have some knowledge on this subject and some of the statements made in this thread, I feel, are false.

Troy

I remember in the movie "Cape fear" Robert Deniro all bloddied and beaten up claming he was in a car crash and needed to get in touch with "family" on a flight, with a lot of lying/begging he got the info he needed

That's from a newspaper:

February 20, 2003

(20:00) Aer Lingus will have to give US authorities the names, itineraries and credit card details of passengers flying to the US, under a new deal agreed between the European Commission and US customs officials yesterday.

The EU commission says the deal satisfies EU data protection arrangements whilst meeting with new US anti-terrorism legislation implemented following the September 11th attacks last year.

The US has given assurances about the appropriate handling of the records, which will include passengers names, contact phone numbers, addresses, itineraries and credit card numbers.

The deal requires all airlines -European and US-based- to provide the information for all flights from EU countries to the US from March 5th.

A spokeswoman for Aer Lingus said the company was waiting for full details on the agreement from the EU Commission, and would review the information once received.

A spokesman for EU transport commissioner Loyola de Palacio said that unless a deal was agreed the US would have insisted upon visa arrangements which would have restricted Europeans movement to the US.

He said it struck the right balance between security needs and guaranteeing the privacy of citizens. He said the EU was fully behind America in its fight against terrorism.

The deal is a transitional arrangement before a permanent legal framework is agreed to by EU members.

The agreement ends lengthy negotiations between the US and EU, since the US introduced tough anti-terrorism legislation in November 2001.

The law requires air carriers submit passenger data within 15 minutes of a plane's departure for the US, which can be checked before the plane lands against a US government database.

Troy,

I guess you are mistaken this time........

I fly tonite and here is an extract of my invoice received per mail last week :

ALL AIRLINES ARE OBLIGED BY LAW TO DISCLOSE THE FLIGHT

AND RESERVATION DATA OF EVERY PASSENGER TO THE US-CUSTOMS

SERVICE. DATA ARE USED ONLY FOR SECURITY PURPOSES. FOR

CLIENTS WHO OPPOSE THIS REGULATION, PLEASE NOTE THAT

WE WILL BE UNABLE TO MAKE THE RESERVATION AND PROVIDE

THE APPROPRIATE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS.

**24HOUR GLOBAL ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE+491805151300**

Cheers !

Although Racha's post, about passenger manifests being posted in Phuket, astounds me (given the omnipresence of the 'mia noi' in Thailand), what I think we are talking about here is unprofessionalism. I don't know how TG trains their staff, but how is the person at the call center able to identify whether the caller is the passenger/travel agent, or not? I call in, and say that I'm Palatkik, or his travel agent, wanting to verify his reservations for TG640. Done. Or bargirl calls her mate at TG to see if Palatkik is on any flights on that route in several days. Done.

I'd be interested to see if there is anything about Thai law or TG policy that allows passenger data to be given out, even for domestic flights.

Sometimes, it's better not to know. I work for an airline, and a couple of weeks ago, there was some confusion as I boarded my flight from Singapore to Bangkok. I was one of the last onboard, and had a seat duplication with a nicely dressed German gentleman. I excused myself to the galley to sort it out, but things were pretty hectic between the ground and cabin crew. Doors closed, and one of the crew informs me that the economy seat on my boarding pass is correct and they proceed to move the other gentleman to first class. Not that it matters on a free two hour flight, but I checked later and found that I was the one checked-in to 4A (or whatever it was) on that flight. :)

You're right BB. The details for all foreign passengers have to be submitted to US immigration prior to the departure of the flight. Information submitted include even such banalities as 'special food order', home telephone no. etc.

Actually this is in violation of the existing Data Protection Laws in EU member states. The dispute btw. EU and US about these infos is still going on.

I had for a moment put in an apology saying I was wrong But re-thought this. I am stubborn, I will admit. After re-reading BB's post, I had to resubmit this. It may be splitting hairs, something I love to do, but giving a list to the FAA and submitting certain names to U.S. Customs is completely different. I have had U.S. Customs call in a few instances and ask for the passenger list to be faxed to them which I have done, against my better judgment. This was before 9/11. After reading my company's policy and actually talking to the legal department on the telephone and being told the police need a subpoena for a passenger list (they were conducting a murder investigation, by the way and this was relayed to the legal department) I will not give info to anyone at anytime for any price and still dispute this information that is being reported. I am a frontline employee and would be the one giving this info and I have to say it just isn't happening. I board the flight, close the door, load the bags, do the weight and balance and send final paperwork to the aircraft but at no time do I send any lists to any government agencies of any country. If I am not the one to do this, within 15 minutes of flight departure, who is??? Again, until someone who is actually involved in this process on the government end of it says this is fact, I say this info is false.

Troy

Archived