NPF Fantasy football PREMIER LEAGUE

racha

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
frogpatrol said:

As it all turned out, Kman pipped me for 2nd by 3 points with a last minute bonus surge, and Racha won by 4 points over KMan and 7 over me. Bibblies was not far back in 4th, much to Racha's releif.

Lots of bonuses flying around. Having complained about them all season, I suddenly got five(!) to keep my Yakubu-less score respectable.

When the dust has settled, it'd be interesting to hear from the other players what their strategies and little 'tricks' were. My main one was to plan ahead a few weeks in advance, maximise team value to give me greatest flexibility in transfers and to try to play the percentages. So, for example, there was a lot of checking which teams were doing badly away especially and also checking to see how many their opponents tended to score at home. I'd look for home bankers (up to half-way these were fixtures against Villa and Portsmouth as well as Leeds and Wolves) and try to plant cheap home defenders in there as transfers. Of course, I'd look for form pointers, check every team sheet for up and coming cheap players and look out for suspensions and injuries, but that was the underlying theme.

I guess Racha was a 'momentum investor'. He'd go with form players (like Forsell, Saha and Boa Morte) very early whereas I'd prefer to wait a while to make sure these weren't flashes in the pan. And I couldn't even consider not being with Henry.

Unlike last season, when I couldn't work out what he was going to do next, KMan's thought patterns (at least when he started to come into the top 4) seemed similar to mine.

Still think Gerrard should have had more bonuses. He's such a fucking superb player, now better than Viera (who's supposed to be the best midfielder in the world). If Eriksson can just get it right this time and pick the most exciting players (e.g. Leave out Butt, bring in Lampard or Hargreaves instead. Play Glen Johnson instead of Neville. And bring Defoe instead of the superfluous extra centre-back we never use every tournament) then we'll be in for a great summer.

kman said:

Yes, indeedy an excellent finish to a long season.

From the time I arrived at Racha towers it was noticable, for someone of a usual calm demenour, this man was on tenterhooks. The top 4 players teams were all printed out, the beer was chilled time to roll ...

:grinyes: Know the feeling. Tell me, what were yours and Racha's first thoughts on seeing the rival teams? Were you quaking with fear as you saw the name of Camara on my team sheet? :clown:

kman said:

I also see the Nana Plaza league finished 42 in the world. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Not a bad effort we sneaked back in the top fifty on the last round, enjoyed watching the game with you last night it was unbelievable the way it all unfolded made it very exciting and nerve raking right to the 90th minute and BTW Congratulations on winning the Pompey predictor :beer::applause: :applause:

:grinyes: Know the feeling. Tell me, what were yours and Racha's first thoughts on seeing the rival teams? Were you quaking with fear as you saw the name of Camara on my team sheet? :clown:

To be honest I had the sheets printed out and the names of all the players were underneath, for some reason the name was missing from under Camara and K-Man asked me who the fuck is that and I told him Camara and we both pissed ourselves laughing together (true story :))

bibblies said:]Tell me, what were yours and Racha's first thoughts on seeing the rival teams? Were you quaking with fear as you saw the name of Camara on my team sheet? :clown:
Actually we thought it was Carl Cort, the page had got wet.

Still laughed like drains tho'

I must admit that I was a bit surprised at Racha taking Gronkjaer, I had always consedered him to be a tart. Paid off tho'.

As for the other transfers no real shocks, just thought it was for sure going to be close,

Cheers

K

Mmm.. looks so strange now. Other candidates to partner Owen were Dickov, Yakubu, Lua Lua, Stead and Cort. Thought I had to get something different and, before yesterday, Camara had a similar form record to Yakubu. I must have thought that Wolves would attacker harder for pride on their last day and Spurs's defence would be more accomodating than that of 'Boro. But watching the highlights, it looked as though Mills and Ehiogu were falling over their own feet.

Actually, if I'd seen another news item - that it was Denis Irwin's last game - I might have held off Camara because they'd probably have given Denis any penalties to take.

Hey, he didn't do any worse than Shearer or Djorkaeff though!

I guess Racha was a 'momentum investor'. He'd go with form players (like Forsell, Saha and Boa Morte) very early whereas I'd prefer to wait a while to make sure these weren't flashes in the pan.

The thinking behind my strategy was nearly all players have a run of good form and its a matter of trying to be on the run at the right time and looking ahead what teams they will be playing in the following weeks as well, if you wait to long the chances are the run of form may stop, I was *always* looking 3 to 4 rounds ahead with my transfers, the double games and fixture changes made it difficult at times though, and that?s when it made it even more important to look ahead,

Forsell was a bargain price at the start, always played lone striker and his form was good while I had him for 2 longish spells, Boa Morte I did not have for very long in my team just as a cheap striker to make the budget because of my expensive midfield (where I made my points) and Saha well Froggo did stick with him though I had Saha only for a few rounds in my team thinking back from memory it was because Man U had double games coming up, So the reason I saw I was getting good scores consistently IMO was due to the quality midfield and not wasting all my budget on expensive out of form strikers. Van Nisitlroy being the exception as I did stick with him to way long as I thought he would of come in to form with a few braces and hat tricks but he never really fired as I expected him to,

Doing transfers early to save money is not worth it IMO, by getting players in who would end up with flu, sprains, strains or pulled muscles during weekly training you would then need to lose points to make up a good team, the money right now means nothing (its the points that win it)and who has the most money left in there team well I have no idea as I never looked because its irrelevant IMO, if you try to sell all your 15 players and make a new team the profit is so little it makes hardly any difference, (give it a try if you have not done so and see how much actual money is left over :rolleyes:) I tried to never keep a player out of form if I possibly could as when you sell you make a small profit and can buy them back at a small loss when needed or when they come back in to form or easier opponents and you think they will perform, when Arsenal was not playing I could afford to sell Henry when no one else could afford to do it and had to keep him on the bench, while I used the extra money for other quality players, the only player I could not afford to sell was Lampard as I had him for so long since the start I would lose to much selling him and could not afford to buy him back, A few games I would of liked to have left Frank out but had no choice to keep him, So next year when you see me sell Henry you know why it?s a case of take the small profit and use the funds else where with a small loss of money to buy him back when he has games that look like he may not be scoring in, (that?s always the gamble part what none of us know even Henry himself):dunno:

We all had our hard luck stories along the way like the time the Liverpool game was cancelled and I had 3 players stuck in my team, to me that?s part of the game and shit like that happens, Next year I will watch the BST as the clock changes, it really devastated me when I went to do the transfers and I missed it by 2 minutes thinking I had an hour, buying Henry, Pires and Campbell was the plan and to see Henry get a hat trick on that Friday night I was sick for the whole weekend, if that never happened I am sure I would of still been up in the top 100 rankings of the overall game, that was my mistake totally and I am still gutted about it, :banghead:

Right now I am sweating on a 10-1 bet, Arse, Man U, Chelsea, Rangers and Celtic all to win, Arse, Man U, Chelsea all won, Rangers are winning at half time 2-1 and Celtic 0-0, so what are my chances :dunno:

i better put this post here and not in the Euro 2004 thread as i do not want a 2nd Yellow Card.....

should Kman be banned from these Football competitions?.

he has had a very successful season and i hate him for it.

can i cope with the humilation if he beats me again in the Euro 2004 Comp?.

at least next season i can enter the competitions under a different name and no-one will know it's me and if Kman beats me.

do the decent thing Kman and give the others a chance. :)

Well done all players and Racha for holding onto his continuous form. I'm delighted with 4th place in the Prize League. Not sure i'll perform as well next year..

As for strategies my error was to make more than necessary tranfers mid season, in my view few teams benefitted from multiple transfers. Otherwise i'm an early buyer trying to focus on in form teams and building value.

Cheers guys,

Archived