Do B/G's have integrity?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>I would say that integraty was a western view point that a thai will never understand ------ without couseing any offence. <<<

unfortunately that does cause offense - integrity (or the lack of it) is a human trait, no single ethnic group can reserve those values for themselves, or accuse another one of lacking those.

>>>Personally, from what little noladge i have of Thailand and it's people so far, money is the main thing, then after that you can buy face with it and gain respect.<<<

and personally, the only point you are right about is that you have very little knowledge about thailand and it's people. face is eminently important, and that gives you respect. money is not relative to face and/or respect.

ln all due respect, my point was they had MORE integrity than the groups I cited. So much more it's not even funny....

About honesty, it was not directed you, just at the thraed and life in Thailand in general. Integrity is kind of a useless standard/notion or propriety in a country where some make millions off the many who make just enough to start working again tomorrow. IMO

PS: I also agree with the poster who raised the question of integrity about farangs doing the nightlife. Maybe when it comes to leisure and getting off, integrity does not count ::. Lucky them!

This is certainly not a definiton of integrity from the Western perspective, but I suspect from the Thai perspective its perfectly exceptable because of the indoctrination to provide for the parents.

---------------------

yep. 2 different worlds facing each other. Just be aware of the differences or bear the consequences!

I see a very high correlation between honesty (the right thing to do based on a self-moral decision on not situational) and integrity.

--------------------------------

sure, but integrity has a different ring. A sense of knowing how things should be done, professionally wise and not doing it (prof. integ., pers hon. kinda? ::) . maybe not accurate as far as dictionaries go, but i tried to understand why the poster used integrity and not honesty.

money is not relative to face and/or respect.

----------------------------------

I would not be so categorical. face is an endless but fascinatingly complex subject. If it was not related, there would never be any $$ settlement in so many cases where damages were not quantifiable. Amount of sin sod, nowadays is all about face, too, not about calculating the amount that can replace the loss of 2 working hands in the parents household. etc.....

Guest lazyphil

<<Integrity is kind of a useless standard/notion or propriety in a country where some make millions off the many who make just enough to start working again tomorrow. IMO>>

I think this pretty much sums it up, unfortuantly.

Hi Fly,

>>>>money is not relative to face and/or respect.<<<<

I don't know fly. What about the girl who goes home and says, "people here now cannot say anything about what I do, because now I have money." Almost as though she thinks she has bought face, and/or respect, and/or integrity.??? At least in her eyes.

Had a long chat last night with a Thai resort owner. My downsizing of living conditions was brought up, and she said many Thai people could not do. Because they would lose face, and so would borrow money to show everything was OK, rather than be seen as "getting poorer". Of course, we have "keeping up with the Jones" everywhere in the world. You live there, so would know, but I have seen money definitely tied to face/respect there.

HT

Says flyonzewall:

and personally, the only point you are right about is that you have very little knowledge about thailand and it's people. face is eminently important, and that gives you respect. money is not relative to face and/or respect.

I beg to differ...... face is very important in all facets of life here, but never forget the money and value of things.....

GF got a watch for her birthday from her boss, went straight to shop to know the value of it..... the more expensive it is, the more money spent on it..... the more face of course :)

Dont offer a bottle of whiskey, offer an expensive one, more money, more face :)

Money is paramount in this age, worldwide, not only LOS.

Cheers !

Guest lazyphil

<<Money is paramount in this age, worldwide, not only LOS>>

I'm happy to live in a country where 'its the thought that counts' is still said with sincerity, in my circles anyhow, not that I'd give somebody a pile of junk as a present but people I know value gifts without quizing the price.

A while back I bought a pretty decent looking 2nd hand car at a bargain of 550 pounds (worth approx 8 or 9 hundred pounds easliy). The mrs Thai workmate (now fired :D) thought how good it looked and she being the way she is asked how much to be told the aforementioned price looked in horror and I later heard on the jungle drums (thanks Trink :grinyes:) she said I was a cheap charlie ::. I'm teaching with good success to my mrs that you gain face here by being astute to pay less for more (we're not talking Porsche here :()

Archived