Why is TG so poor

SingaporeSteve

Just answering another post reminded me of a huge frustration with TG. Its not the inflight service, which I think is good, its not the aircraft interiors which on the whole is OK. Its not the Frequent Flyer Programme which I think is good.

I get totally pi***d off with TG because whenever I fly with them, the odds are that the flight departs from a remote stand. I have stopped flying them to Singapore purely because I want to get there on time and have never done it yet with TG. Almost every flight to SIN goes from a remote stand which means trecking down the terminal to the gates 1-5 and then the non-aircon bus across the airport to the remote stands. Flight always leave's 30 minutes late. similar scenario on HKG and Jakarta flights.

Of course as you walk towards the remote stand gates, you walk past many piers that are empty :: Last time I had the misfortune to travel TG to keep my Gold card, I counted 14 empty gates, but of course my flight was leaving from a remote stand - why cant they get their home base in order and use the gates which are lying empty ??? At first I thought it was bad luck, busy airport etc, but I asked the SQ flight manager and she laughed and said that SQ always have a gate and will not accept the remote stands. Guess who gets my business. Might be considered a minor irritation but it really hacks me off.

Does anyone else have any TG hates that really put you off flying them?

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only Singapore, Hongkong and Jakarta . Arriving from Tokyo I have yet to remember a single time that a passenger bridge position was used. It's always a remote parking position. The use of a passenger bridge is usually charged according to the time an aircraft uses this bridge. Quite often Thai flights arrive at the remote space and are later towed for aircraft departure to a bridge position. The reason for this simply is that remote parking positions are much cheaper than the so called 'finger' or bridge positions.

I don't really have any 'hates', the flights I have been on were OK.

But I am a little put off when I look at the departure screens in Bangkok airport. Seems like there are quite a lot of TG flights that just get cancelled. :cussing:

I was also having a discussion with an Aussie who had the misfortune to miss his flight on TG, as a no show they could not offer him a seat for at least 5 days which seemed a long wait.

They must be doing well if their flights are so full during a slump like this summer.

I always figured it was that the pilots of the planes that "parked in the field"

were not good enough to manuver close up to the ramp area.

it is a minor hassell to take the buss to/from the plane.

worst is long haul flights with mostly s.e. asian passengers and mayhem that breaks out in the rush to the busses.

I saw on "lady" ( and I am being charitable using the term lady) deck a guy with a diaper bag wehen he got in her way ( her wimpy husband was carrying the baby, and she was running interference for him)

i feel this has improved recently after some construction work in the terminal has been finished and more bridges are available. around one year ago it was absolutely not predictable as on the same flight number sometimes the plane was parked at the bridge and sometimes in a remote position

That cramped gate 1-5 happened to me to last dec, to Frankfurt I think, left one hour late. In all a lousy flight, old plane, lousy seats, lousy service. I flew Thai around 5 return flights, avoid them as much as possible (I did not elect that last Thai flight)

Archived