Don't mess with a Thai taxi driver

Yehtmae

Jp,

That was exactly the point of the made up story. Everyone seemed to jut be assuming one thing: these were drunk assholes who were fucking around and got what they needed.

I just went exactly the opposite to try and make a point.

I agree there is definately always more than one side to a story and this article did a piss poor job of pretty much showing no side at all.

We have no idea what happend other than puke, no pay, stab.

A lot of room for holes to be filled in. We definately need a witness, some quotes, a police statement, and eventually (when found) the drivers take.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<You have got to be kidding? How can you say that refusing to pay for cleaning up a taxi is more deplorable than stabbing someone in the eye?>

<<I am squarely with Suzi Bandit on this one>>

Me too. I cant make this out. Another example of falang pandering to Thais. Spirit will back this as he mentioned in a past post a Thai at the Battersea food fest charging less for Thais and thinking its quite acceptable. Seems some Thais think they can do what the fuck they like and get away with it...and do!!!.....I really question the common sense and decency of alot of Thais and Thailand. Wheres the sense of fair play??

Says khunsanuk:

I am squarely with Suzi Bandit on this one.

As anything else would seem wholly unreasonable. I'm sure the vast majority of Westerners would agree that

A) puking in the taxi and not compensate is bad but

B) stabbing someone in the eye with a knife is worse

What would justify a knife stabbing on the cab drivers part? We simply don't know. It's not mentioned in the news article. It's pointless to discuss it.

>>>paid the guy an extra 200B, the cabbie wanted 2000B<<<

if i would be that cabby if would not be happy with 200 baht. to properly clean that cab and air it enough takes a few hours. cabbies have to gross at least 1000 baht per shift to make a profit - meaning that very possibly he's not gonna make one cent that day.

Puking in the back of the cab is a bind of the trade, just like fisherman have their nets cut, farmers suffer with an infestation....

Its tough luck for the cabbie, just tough luck.. The previous day he may have had good luck he may have found a fone in the cab, or a big juicy farang wallet...

If that cabbie did stab him in the eye, purely over puking and not in self defence he deserves life in prison ....

STH

people here seem to moralise that issue, somehow compare the lesser affront of puking and refusing to pay with an over reaction of the stabbing.

nice, only that the real world does not work by those rules. one the one hand - you have some "universtity" lecturers, on the other some taxidriver most likely from a very low class background used to violence as a solution to conflicts.

action and reaction - those two guys were fighting on that guy's territory after committing an offense against him.

would you walk into a football hooligan bar and start an intellectual discussion about the merits of the other team. no, because you know that it would cause a violent reaction you might not be equipped to deal with regardless of the moral right or wrong of the issue. the intelligent person, when walking into that bar would either go very fast, or keep his head down.

it just does not work in the real world to transport morality into a completely different environment. yeah, it is bad to stab someone, but this here is thailand and not happy gagaland and people get stabbed and shot for the slightest transgressions. it might be morally bad, but there is fuck all you can do about except learn to be smart.

intelligent thing - if you puke in a cabby's car, you apologise and you offer him a proper compensation before he even demands one.

or you learn how to fight hard.

>>>he deserves life in prison ....<<<

well, that is your position. the cabby thought that the guys deserved to be stabbed and he did that. who am i to argue against a knife wielding pissed off bloke?

it is somehow simple:

thailand - violent country

get into a conflict - expect violence

you don't want violence - don't get into a conflict

what he will get, by the way, if caught, is about 10 years in prison - a lot more than he would get in the west. and no, i would have no problem with him getting that sentence.

it's all a chain of action and reaction. moralising those kind of everyday events is useless.

it's a cruel and unfair world - anything new about it?

more important is drawing the right lesson of such an event - be aware that those things happen and guard yourself.

While the guys were wrong in not compensating the taxi driver for their mess, the crime did not fit the punishment.

Just because someone does a wrong, one does and should not respond in a violent manner.

It is the same mentality as someone who steals your wallet sitting out on your table or some other petty crime. You don't pull out a gun and shoot him. You might feel angry and mad but it is not a correct or morally correct response. This mentality does exist everywhere and is why we have guys who shoot people in cars when some minor car infraction was committed.

Thailand is a violent country. What type of BS logic is that! Is there a country that doesn't have a violent element to its society? USA is a violent country too, probably more so.....

I also don't buy into the notion things are done different here is the correct notion. It doesn't make it right.. One doesn't take matters into their own hands because that is how things are done in this part of the woods. These people who demonstrate this mentality are called thugs like the taxi driver exhibited. If they do, they should pay the consequences within whatever legal system is in place. His actions are far worse than the wrong that was done to him.

LOS has a civil and criminal legal system in place. While maybe it isn't comparative to the west, it IS what they have and one must work within it even if justice and fairness is somewhat lacking.

It is also irrelavent what type of occupation the victims were. Why should a teacher, a manager, a well-respected individual have any higher accountability than any other citizen. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions equally - morally and legally.

Cardinalblue

Archived