Another Shocking Headline !!!

Bkkbound04

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been the case in Australia for ages, I think. When Miss Red came over, we were told in no uncertain terms that if we married in Oz, she would not be able to stay longer than her original tourist visa. Also if we did get married, it would be frowned upon by the immigration dept. (ie, they would make it tougher for us later when we applied for residency).

Didn't bother us, as we had no intention of getting hitched.

The tourist visas are mostly stamped "No further stay" which means..(funnly enough) .. No further stay after the initial period granted. 3 months, or 6 months.

I imagine the same case would apply for students.

Student visa a bit of a racket in OZ.

Granted for 6 months to study and can renew for further 6 months and again as long as study and ""attend.""

My wife got a first time stamp for her student ""status"" of 4 years..they have stopped these now.

In general 6 months to study english and go home.

As STH says - Thais are a safe target. No pressure groups or gobshites whinging on about 'rights' so the government can claim to be doing something about an issue that exercises many people in this country by bringing in new restrictions on people that do not - and never have - caused any problems whatsoever. I could spit.

I was chatting to a Thai guy that owns a couple of restaurants in the London area including my local one. Not flash places, they're attached to pubs, and he said that he was making plenty of money in the UK and said to me (and I paraphrase) "Look mate, I'm not here as a refugee -I'm a businessman. I love Thailand and if I wasn't making this pay then I'd go back there straight away. No loss to me".

Oh, and if they want to mess the Philipinos about then the hospitals are going to be short of a few hundred nurses. And they are very good nurses too. Useful decent people.

David Blunkett really is a twat. It's such a shame particularly as he has overcome obstacles in his life that would make me blanche and give up before I'd even started. I really admire him for that and I mean it. But he really does come up with the most harebrained bullshit imaginable. I wonder who is really responsible for this (some twatty little PPE graduate no doubt working as an advisor).

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. "Things can only get better" they said. Go tell it to Marines.

I would have thought there would be a prima facia case to answer here against race relations act, if the relationship was genuine. It doesn't only apply to coloured immigrants, it's supposed to protect us whities as well. Unfortunatly such a directive along with a clamp down on immigration would probably prove popular with fat arsed femails and the Sun readers. It would appear Tony Blair and Co are badly in need of a bit of popularity right now, maybe this is the way they intend to get it, Scary! :help:

I especially like this part from the article:

Says News article above:

The decision follows figures showing that in 2001 more than 25,000 student and tourist visas were issued for Thai nationals,
many
of whom then got married and stayed permanently.

By contrast only 1,000 fiancée visas ? the type needed for people intending to marry British citizens ? were issued.

More or less precice numbers mentioned but -- of course -- no numbers mentioned for the important part. Exactly how many do get married and stay permanently? More or less than the 1000 fiance visas issued? Crap journalism...

You and STH have beat me to all the real points.

We all know UK guys who've got genuine, long term relationships with TG's, who under these regulations will have to stay married to Pam.

Under the UK's liberal 'PC' regime it's totally acceptable for some guy who's been shooting kids in Kosovo or Sierra Leonne to come over, get a house , free vocational training, a 3 Grand voucher for a car because our bus drivers don't understand them, let their kids lower the lowest common denominator in our schools and then provide a vital link in the heroin trade from Afganistan . (and there's 100 000 of them a year doing it)

But at the same time Nok's not allowed over to add a bit of sunshine and sanuk to the lives of hard working guys.

I move that this house shoot all politicians, with Blunkett at the front of the queue.

Cheers

Man o man, it sounds like what goes on in the UK is even more out of control than what goes on in the US -- which is pretty amazing (in a sad way).

Really too bad for you guys, who will now have yet ANOTHER set of hurdles and prejudices to get through at the UK embassy when trying to bring your TGs to the UK.

...well the alternative is to go and live in Thailand when I retire I suppose!

I've got a mate - 62 years old - who lives in Bangkok with his missus (falang). Originally he lived in Spain to max out his pension and savings, then they had a brief spell in China and now it looks like they'll be sticking in Thailand for the foreseeable future.

I was having a drink with him a couple of months ago and it was very interesting indeed. Apart from the fact that I've never seen him look so healthy and happy (and he doesn't indulge in the scene - for one thing he can't really afford it!!) he was telling me about his last visit to the UK in January.

He's always been a right tough old bastard and he still travels and treks but he said something very interesting and also I think rather sad.

He was walking down the streets of his old home town and he said that for the first time in his life he felt really vulnerable. The reason? Gangs of feral children on the streets, hanging around, shouting their nonsensical shite, drinking and smoking and leering at passers by. The useless progeny of indolent parents eroding the quality of life of every poor bastard whose misfortune it is to live near them. The police can't do anything - these people know their 'rights' remember . They've been told all about them. The schools are just pens to keep them in and they don't give a stuff about the teachers.

He said that he felt safe in Thailand. Safe. And a lot of people in towns and cities over here, particularly the elderly, don't feel safe anymore.

I know I've veered wildly off-topic but what I'm trying to say is that - and this is a 'me' statement - I'm buggered if I'm going to work my arse off, pay taxes, National Insurance and all the rest of what we all have to put up with if it's just going to be squandered by successive 'right-on' governments who are amazingly profligate with that money - our money - and shower it on people and causes that just don't deserve it.

I must sound like one of those boneheads that I'm having a go at. Crazy isn't it? Sorry - just the way I feel tonight. Must be the heat.

Archived