the next crackdown...

"Clampdowns come and clampdowns go,"

Hmm.

Things have changed a bit, I think.

I remember when people said that the 2am closing wouldn't last.

I remember when they said that the ban on smoking in restaurants wouldn't last.

I remember when they said the drugs crackdown would have no effect. (How many shot dead now?)

Okay, crackdown on pirate CD software may not have been as successful, but on my last trip, they were far less visible!

I don't know whether the government really is serious about this, but I do believe that things are changing!

ranma

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>I remember when they said the drugs crackdown would have no effect. (How many shot dead now?)<<<

about 3000 dead, and you still get it everywhere, just more expensive.

>>>I remember when people said that the 2am closing wouldn't last.<<<

the first crackdown i saw was ten years ago - everybody was screaming about the end (apart from the guys who have been living here for a while).

well, it hasn't ended, it even went over the years much wilder. now we have a time of things gettting a bit more controlled again, but unless the government solves the many problems of rural poverty i don't see fuck all chance that this here will change.

personally, i do hope that one day they will tackle the problems upcountry, but i unfortunately i don't see that happening.

Point well taken re my other post with tooooo much information--silly of me really...:nono:

The wholesale slaughter of the drug wars is over 4,000 according to "unamed sources"

IMHO third world "infant" democracies are continuing their march to regulation in many many arenas.This is just one area.But it IS getting extreme with raids on yuppie night clubs like "Q" Bar-making poeple pee in bottles does seem rather fascist to me-No?-Reminding me of Ahmeriiica 0Oh NO!! :: :(

Take Care

Jitagawn

Hi,

>>>>>Why? If you don't visit the gogos why would nekked girls dancing affect your normal life? <<<<<

Thailand is known internationaly has a sex capital. It is a reputation/image that most Thai families do not cherish. Nor is the huge amount of Aids cases, which is associated, in part, to the cheap sex associated with their countrty.

It's the Farang sex scene that is reported about, so often. The Thai's themselves are much more discreet. So having the Farang sex area's cracked down on, is something that is favored by them. Thai's have incredible national pride. For many, the open falang sex scene there is a great tarnishing of their image, thus their pride as a nation.

HT

For many, the open sex scene there is a great tarnishing of their image, thus their pride as a nation.

----------------------------------

then, why didn't they do something about it before it becomes a huge industry? Where they less proud?

Unless they close down places where prostitution is rampant, and I mean sex tourist prostitution, I will not take their hurt pride seriously. I personally think that, like it or not, sex tourism has pumped a lot of bahts in the thai economy. It now seems that prostitution has become systemic for girls of all stratas, to earn cash. It may not be too late to rectify, but thais are going to have to take a good look at themselves and their society rather than at the sex tourists passing by. IMO

Hi,

>>>>then, why didn't they do something about it before it becomes a huge industry? Where they less proud?<<<

I think you answered your own question. It's the money it brings in. Not just for the girls themselves, but the money that is being used to take care of upcountry parents, sending sister to University, creating jobs in taxi, restaurant, hotel, airlines, malls, beer producers......

IMO, I think most Thai's not on the recieving end of punter money, would like to see farang sex trade disappear. They are only tolerant of it, in the context they know that much of the money being generated, is being used to shore up inadequit health and welfare issues of poor Thai's.

With all the GTG's I chat with, all are aware that being a Thai girl carries with it a certain stigma, which is very unjust, and I'm sure they would rather not have to deal with that. They are not very compassionate of their Thai sister's creating an image that they feel they must live down. They very much look down on the falang sex scene, and would like to se it go.

>>>The wholesale slaughter of the drug wars is over 4,000 according to "unamed sources"<<<

and amphetamines and other drugs are still easy to get, just more expensive...

>>>But it IS getting extreme<<<

seems that their solution to long standing problems is mainly ruthless supression of the symptoms instead of tackling the root causes. i reckon that would not get the immediate effects in the papers.

on the same level it just blows my mind how easy it is nowadays again to get credit cards etc.

for all that there is a bill to pay afterwards...

Archived