Missing page in passport?

valkyrie

:nono:A newbie mate thats on his 2nd trip this friday, has removed all evidence of his first trip ie_ the page with last times entry and exit visa stamps from his passport in order to comply with uk longtime girlfriend regulations. Whats the chance of this getting picked up on by immigation at Don Muang at our imminent arrival saturday? :: ::

The link provided by kamui does cover it pretty well. It surprises me how many people tear pages out of their passports or remove visa stickers to free up space.

Several years ago, I traveled to Singapore from the U.S. on business about once very six weeks. Eventually I started going across the straits to Malaysia, looking for a little "fun". Whenever I went into Malaysia, I went through the whole process: leave signapore, fill out the Malysian entry form, get my stamp going into Malaysia. Going out of Malaysia, I usually just walked in a crowd of day workers who walked around the immigration checkpoint, and proceeded to fill out the Singapore entry form and get stamped into Singapore.

Then one Saturday, as I was going through the entry process in Malaysia, the immigration officer flipped through my passport. He gave a puzzled look, then flipped through again, then back and forth. He laid the passport on the counter and stared at me. "You never left Malaysia, but ou came in two times before..." he started.

After grilling me and making me sweat (both figuratively and physiclly, after all, it is the tropics), he stamped me out for my previous visits and stamped me in for this visit, with a stern admonishment to go through immigration on my way out this time.

Looking back on it, he was being really nice- he could have denied entry or worse :eek:

I guess the point is yes, these guys do sometimes look through the passport and they do notice when things are missing.

So, read the link posted by kamui and tell your friend to get a new passport.

RickF

It seems like unnecessary worry. It'd be a lot easier to 'loose' the passport in the bin or stick it in his pocket on a warm wash.

If you do it well in advance and get your replacement without the last minute "express fee" it's only 30 quid for a replacement.

It's genuinely happened to me a couple of times and I've had no trouble getting a replacement.

The Liverpool passport office ain't that far away from yourself. The last time I was there I saw the guy who used to play the scouser in Grange Hill.

I did however, sit on the stone steps outside whilst having a fag and picked up a nasty case of "Rockford Files" so be warned.

Cheers

it happens quite often that you don't get stamped either in or out of a country for whatever reason & thus you could appear to be at multiple countries at the same time, but it really should not pose a worry IME...

I don't see any difference whatsoever in checking in at immigration anywhere with a brand new empty passport or an almost stamped out one, but hey maybe I don't look dodgy enough to be worth any in deepth survey :dunno:

"it happens quite often that you don't get stamped either in or out of a country for whatever reason & thus you could appear to be at multiple countries at the same time, but it really should not pose a worry IME..."

Only country I know of that doesn't stamp you out is the US. .

My experience with immigration officers in SEA is they look pretty closely at enter and exit dates.

TH

I would back up other posters here and tell your friend to get a new passport. I used to work for an airline and had dealings with immigration and it is a big deal if a page is missing from your passport. If the guy travels alot and has a 64 page passport or more it may go unnoticed but definitely not worth the risk in my opinion.

The best bet is to just say you cant find your passport. When I worked for an airline this was quite common. Some people who travel once every five years book a holiday and at the last minute remember they need their passport. They then ring the airline even though it is not the airlines business. Anyway the airline will give them a number for emergency passport replacement. Usually 48 hours is needed but to be hoest in an emergency they can do it in less, even on the same day if they are really co-operative.

Anyway this is based on Australian experience but I think Uk would be similar.

So advice is tell you mate to ring up immigration or the passport office and just tell them you lost it. They will grill you a it and ask you to make sure you have checked everywhere and thoroughly so tell him to say he has literally turned the place upside down. Immigration dont like it when people lose their passport because there is a lot of illegal activity in selling passports especially highly-valued ones like UK and people have been know to sell them and claim they lost it - usually these people are tracked if it happens more than once so not a good idea to get into the habit of doing this.

I would think the paper passport is only part of the problem,

When you check in at the airport your passport number is scanned or typed in,

I am sure this info is sent ahead to your destination.

How long it is saved is anyones guess, but its not a big deal to keep this info in the Immigration computer for a long long time.

I would love to know !

At one time certain countries stamped in your passport that you arrived by car ,

if you did not depart taking your car you could be hit with big import duties

This was back in VW hippie camper days , so if you blew up your old bus you had to "lose" your passport that showed you brought it into the country.....

Archived