Isaan girls don't speak Thai?

wonderlust

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand has several regional dialects, but since all television originates in Bangkok people all over Thailand understand "Central Thai", that which is spoken in Bangkok.

It is a good idea not to pick up too much Thai by listening to those outside Bangkok -its hard enough for a Thai to understand a farang learning Thai without having to decode the dialect as well!

Koa Jai Bwa? ::

RickF.

yep; most BG's are from Isaan and speak Isaan, which is close to Lao. this is however close to Thai as well; a lot of words are the same, tones and sentence structures are also the same.

latest at school they also have to learn thai, as it is spoken in central thailand.

i would certainly not focus on learning Isaan/Lao, but knowing a couple of sentences can be fun in Bars or with the lot of migrants (taxi drivers, maids, factory worker, foodstall keeper etc.etc.) on the street.

Guest lazyphil

My mrs is part mon from Pakkret area, I wouldn't have a clue if she was speaking Thai or some other tounge if in fact they do??...they make nice garden pots no matter what they speak!

Funny, but awhile back, I was in a cab with 2 Issaan Girls, who were chatting away as they took me to the hospital for a SARS test...anyway, I suddenly chimed in with Oh you want to open a coffe and pastry shop on Soi Asok when the subway opens...? and they were shocked an astounded, thiought they were speaking Thai, turns out, they were speaking Lao...thus blew my hand right there...after that, she now leaves the area when she wants to tell someone something, fearing I will understand it...this is how I know there is something up...I do agree it is best to not let on that you speak Thai, and usually even a small amount indicates you are "fluent" as far as they are concerned...

Hi Samak,

a lot of words are the same, tones and sentence structures are also the same.

I dont mean to be nitpicking but the tones are not necessarily the same. Words like for instance Khao for Rice, fifty and ninety are pronounced not with a falling tone as in central thai but with a rising one. There are probably plenty more.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived