Pha

Here's the situation.

I gotta ask Thai mom if I can take daughter to Samui, (Koh Samui) in pasa Thai, because mom no speak Engrit.

I constructed a sentence which included "ow ma". My girl said was impolite, and came back with this: "Phom ja bai samui. Phom ja pha Nok (not real) pai gap phom, dai mai?"

I looked up, and saw that "ow ma" means to take/bring an object, while "pha ma" means to take/bring a person.

So....two questions here (her families phone line has been down for last 24 hours) : I'm assuming she is alternating "bai" and "pai" for the same word (go), or does "pai" have a separate meaning?

Main question though, is while "pha ma" means to take/bring a person, is it OK to drop the "ma", as in her example above? Can I just say "pha Nok", instead of "pha ma Nok"? Also, would it be better to use "tawng-gan" (would like) instead of ja (will). I know that "dai mai" is asking "can I? But 'ja' sounds a little uprupt, as though saying 'I (will) be bringing her', instead of 'I would (like) to bring her'.

What about: "Kaw pha ma Nok Samui gap phom noi, dai mai? :grinyes: I would feel like I was ordering a beer though..."Kaw bia Sing noi. Neung kuwat yai". ::

Thanks........HT

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I'm assuming she is alternating "bai" and "pai" for the same word (go)"

Looks like it.

"Can I just say "pha Nok", instead of "pha ma Nok"?"

I don't think you would ever say "pha ma Nok", but rather "pha Nok ma". As for the questions, I think that is okay. Not sure though.

"Also, would it be better to use "tawng-gan" (would like) instead of ja (will)."

Hmmm, not sure. I think "tawng-gan" can also be translated as 'have to'. Try adding 'yaak' in front of the 'ja', that will turn it into 'want to / would like to'

Sanuk!

HT,

It depends a little on the state of your relationship with this girl.

If this is a GTG with whom you've not established anything for the long term, it's a rather delicate question. And if there's no serious commitment yet I do wonder if mom will allow this, if you jst ask a simple question. It depend on her age, the current status of your relationship (and what does mom know so far), and you future intentions.

If its a BG (probably not if you've got to ask mom), you can just state you intention.

If you can elaborate I may be able to coach you a bit in the right direction.

Hi orandanodes,

Well....she's 23, and lives in Nakhon Pathom (2 hrs. outside of BKK). She lives at home with parents, and her sister. Mother and father work in government jobs (marriage licensing), where both come into contact with many falang requesting services, but niether can speak English.

Nok got a job out of Rangsit, in Rayong, which she left 1 month ago. She knows I'm coming in 3 weeks, and so does not want to work till then, so she can be with me. We msn at least 2 hours a day, plus phone calls, and 3-4 sms's from her, per day. While she seems quite serious, I've told her that I cannot live in Thailand, so will only be able to see each other 2 x year. Known her for around 3 months.

Actually, she is going to tell mother about me next week, and about Samui. Nok says she will go regardless, but because mother trusts her, she does not think a problem. She is going to tell mother a white lie...that she has known me for 5 years.

I have invited entire family for a Chao Phyra dinner cruise, where I want to ask mother formaly, even though she will have been told of koh Samui weeks in advance. I will have met mother the day before at JJ market, if not even before that, so will not be first meeting with mom and I.

I just thought it would be a polite thing to do. By all accounts, mother is head of the family, so will address to her, rather than father (at Noks suggestion). This trip is not my usual sex tour. I really like this girl, and sex is not a part of it. If it happens, it will be at her desire. So....mother really doesn't have anything to worry about.

Anyway, this is the context of the situation. More of a 'good manners' thing, than actually springing the question on 'mom'. I will know her answer far in advance. :)

I'm looking for something simple, that I will not stumble over while saying. Whatever is decided, I will study, and make sure I have the proper tones down. Worse case senario is that Nok speaks excellent English, so can translate, if mother does not understand.

Probably more than you wanted to know :) , but this is the senario. Thanks in advance for your help.....

HT

PS....I almost forgot.....Nok is not a B/G. Grew up most of her life in Ang Tong (the town...not the islands, by the same name). Mother and younger sister have traveled quite exstensively, while Nok has not, because of various responsibilites. She feels it's her turn now, and will not take a 'no' answer from mom. "I big girl now....I can do whatever I like". But if mom freaks at idea, I will have to re-think, and will be back here for a new set of phrases spoken in pasa Thai, for mom :o I really don't want to cause any problems with her family. Will cross that bridge, if it comes........

HT,

Interesting, still remember your first and last GTG post a little while ago. Still looking for something with a bit more substance, are you?

Anyway that belongs in another section.

What to say? Have to admit I'm a bit at loss here. If I understand it well you know here through internet but have never met personally. You've never met her parents and she apparently hasn't told mum about you yet (planning to do so next week).

To me, if we're talking about a so-called GTG, going off we a farang on holiday for a few days as a first date is a definete no-no to Thai parents. But then again perhaps you've come accross an exeption here. Free minded Thais. Or perhaps she's had her share of failed relations and the issue of a new BF isn't such a big deal anymore to mum and dad.

All these things are important if you want to pose the qustion in the right way. That's why I mention them even though these belong in the relationship section.

Anyway, IMO its best to start off by letting mum know that its her idea to go along with you (assuming she has told mum in advance).

just some lines here.

Khun Mae khrap, rau ruu jakgan ma naan laeow. Khui thaam internet/teresap khuap took wan. Rau jaak mee okaat ruu jak gan dii kwa nii lae Khui ruang pai tieow doei gan boy krang, tae thung wan nii jang mai mee okaat. Khrao nii Pom je waang plan pai tieow Koh Samui, lae Nok bohk khap pom wah tje pai duay; mae khong mai wah Nok. Khun Mae khit janngai, hai anumat Nok pai duay mai.

MY god, its difficult to write this up phonetically.

Of course if this is a GTG she's gong to expect commitment. Not only her, but also her parents. But once again that's food for another section.

Dear HT,

A regular TG to be given a permission to go with a man for a week alone,(I don't care what nationality he is) is a little off the wall for me, sorry. ::

She has got to lie, more than how long she has known you so !!!! but it is not the subject here.

You don't say "Pha ma" because you are not really bringing "Nok", you are taking her so it is "Pha Pai". The concept of bringing and taking in English is beyond many Thais :(

Also, you want to put an object in between those 2 words. "Pha Nok Pai" or "Pha Nong Ma" - "Nok" and "Nong" are objects.

It is the same when you want to ask a taxi to take you some place - "Pha Phom Pai Wat Pra Keaw, dai mai?" - Can you take me to the Emerald Temple, please?" - The "Phom (I) is an object here.

Cheers! ::

[color:"red"] I just thought it would be a polite thing to do. By all accounts, mother is head of the family, so will address to her, rather than father (at Noks suggestion). This trip is not my usual sex tour. I really like this girl, and sex is not a part of it. If it happens, it will be at her desire. So....mother really doesn't have anything to worry about.

[/color]

Dear HT,

Since you are one of my favorites on this board, please forgive me for I must say what needs to be said. :bow:

To get a permission from a mother in a normal good Thai family can be understood as a "commitment", especially taking a daughter away for a week between just 2 of you. Sex is the last thing they worry about it is her reputation.

Being a Thai woman, I must say and believe that the TF of yours is trying to set up the "close to commitment" environment. If you are ready for it, it is ok, but if not, be CAREFUL :hug::drunk:

Jasmine :rolleyes:

Archived