Pha

Says markle:

Says HIGH THAIED:

Thanks guys..............this is doing me a whole lot of good, with no English translations........
:neener:

HT

Forget the English translations... What about the Thai translations not everyone here speaks fluent Issan. (wish I could though)

northern...

but i have had to consult the missus ::

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>It was awful he actually addressed me as "Mung", I just told him what he needed to hear and his wife thought it was funny so I got on her case too. <<<

ROTFLMAO! :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

actually, just thinking,...

even if one tries to speak normal thai one can slip some very funny ones in. my best mate always confuses the tones in "aap daed" and in "heema". LOL!

for the non speakers: "aap daed" means "sunbathing" but "daed" in a different tone means "clitoris"...

"heema" means snow, but wrongly pronounced it can mean "the female genitals (and a bad slangword for it!) of a dog/horse (depending on the tone)".

i wonder how many slips i make unknowingly... ::

[color:"red"]for the non speakers: "aap daed" means "sunbathing" but "daed" in a different tone means "clitoris"...

"heema" means snow, but wrongly pronounced it can mean "the female genitals (and a bad slangword for it!) of a dog/horse (depending on the tone)".

i wonder how many slips i make unknowingly...

[/color]

:devil: :: :o

I slipped once (English) on the word "master"- meaning to master the darn difficult task. :banghead:

I used "masterbation" instead and the guys (no female in that meeting except Jasmine here) were all turning red and became speechless (unusual of this group). I didn't realize it until I saw their faces and suddenly I just bursted out laughing and said "What is the matter with you guys, you don't think that I can do that too?" I did not turn red, ok? :devil:

The Thai tones are killers so ones have to concentrate, I admire any of you guys who can speak well enough to get your points across. :bow:

Hoever, in a normal conversation, people will understand even though it sounds "off the wall". How could people be talking about weather (snow "hiima") be thinking about a dog/horse's genitals even if the poor guy pronounces like it? :banghead:

I told one of the American guys not to call me "Phii" because it sounds like he called me a "ghost" every time. :eek:

Some people just have one track mind, is it what you are saying dear Fly? :neener:

Jasmine :devil:

>>>Some people just have one track mind, is it what you are saying dear Fly? <<<

well, when my friend asked my missus how germany was and if the "hee maa" was nice to look at, we had to burst out laughing. ::

>>>>The Thai tones are killers so ones have to concentrate, I admire any of you guys who can speak well enough to get your points across.

Hoever, in a normal conversation, people will understand even though it sounds "off the wall". <<<

it's a weird thing. i have never really learned thai, i have no clue about the tones, nor about reading and writing. i just speak only complete sentences, and seem to get most tones right instinctively. as soon as i speak single words i most definately always use the wrong tone.

obviously i do not speak the politest thai (but i do know not to adress people with "mueng" unless i mean to... :p)).

and in some aspect i think it is more important to be fluent than to slave over correctness of every spoken word.

it is also my experience that people generally will understand if some words are mispronounced. most people do know, or understand very fast how difficult it is for most of us to pronounce thai correctly.

that also is not easy for non central thais. my missus for example has with some words a lot more difficulties than i have. she has learned central thai only when she was 16 or so, and not by the book. her mother only spoke yuan, not even the northern dialect of the region where she lived.

Hi,

"it's a weird thing. i have never really learned thai, i have no clue about the tones, nor about reading and writing. i just speak only complete sentences, and seem to get most tones right instinctively. as soon as i speak single words i most definately always use the wrong tone."

Exactly the same for me.

"and in some aspect i think it is more important to be fluent than to slave over correctness of every spoken word."

And again I agree.

Sanuk!

[color:"red"] her mother only spoke yuan, not even the northern dialect of the region where she lived.

[/color]

I know what dialect you are talking about and those people are very beautiful ones. : :bow:

It is better to speak in whole sentences. Some words will mean only what people have experience with. "Hei Ma" will mean only "snow" to Hubby because that is the only thing he knows. If I send him out to hang around other Thais and you Fly, he may improve? :: :help:

>>>I know what dialect you are talking about and those people are very beautiful ones. : <<<

thanks. :)

...and most beauty there is fortunately in the heart.

Thai's have their problems with Angrit, as well. Yesterday chat girl was telling me about falling out of a tree when she was younger (broke arm). She said, "I am a little embarrassed to tell you, but when I was younger, I was a bit of a tom lesbian". ::

:grinyes: She had meant to say "Tom-boy". A laughed for an hour, and poor girl was REALLY embarrassed when I pointed out her mistake. :o

HT

[color:"red"] She had meant to say "Tom-boy". A laughed for an hour, and poor girl was REALLY embarrassed when I pointed out her mistake.

[/color]

::Are you sure it was a mistake? :devil::neener:

There is a word "tom-boy" in Thai, exactly said in Thai "Tom-Boy" HT. There is a term "Tom-Dee" which means lesbian relationship (Tom - is male - Dee is be the female of the relationship), please do NOT ask how I know. :neener:

Archived