The Most Expensive Drink In Bangkok

jxxxl

I'd like to know if anyone can beat this.

I went to Spasso last week. Don't ask why, I hate the place but got wrangled into going with my wife and some friends. We were drinking bottles of wine between a large group. The wine wasn't cheap, but about the same as I would expect in Hyatt bars in other countries.

One of the gals decides to order a glass of house pour Champange. The glass comes along with the bill which read Bht 1,100!!!! :: :: :: That's about US$27!!!! Almost as expensive as the bottles of wine we were drinking. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it :hubba:.

By any country's standard, including Singapore where alchohol is outrageous, this is extremely high.

Anyone see a more expensive drink that this for a standard pour?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been to Spasso some times too. The beers are in the THB 250 ++ range per bottle. So, for an imported Champagne something more is to be expected. Best idea is probably to ask first. Good bar for live music and sometimes for good looking girls.

Never happened to me, but I think it is easily possible paying much more than THB 1000 in an PP upstairs bar for simply a beer.

Why?

Why go there?

Why play a game of conspicuous consumption?

Why pay silly prices just to be far from the madding crowd?

Perhaps I just answered my own question. But I could still never bring myself to do it.

Perhaps when I cark it, my corpse will be left paying the govt $27 inheritance tax that I could have spent when alive entertaining a lovely lady even at such inflated prices.

It would still go against the grain with me though. I'd rather leave it to the dogs' home - but maybe that's what I'm already doing every night in the bars of Pattaya! :grinyes::beer:

jxxxxxxxxxxxxl,

admittedly expensive but still makes sense as follows. Bottle of quality Champagne in a quality hotel in BKK would cost you around 5000 Baht. ( Cost in European supermarket around 25 USD ) Result of enormous taxes, hotel surcharge etc. If you divide your 5000 Baht by 5/6 glasses , you end up around 27 USD more or less.

Bbill

Hi Buffalo_bill

Good point.

Having been in the industry.....the charge for the first(only) glass is usually higher than your example..with champagne those stoppers are not that good in keeping the wine fresh..so get as much cash for the one glass..as the rest may well go down the drain (or staff drink) unless the staff can flog the rest asap.

Archived