The Most Expensive Drink In Bangkok

jxxxl

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny but back home in Australia, champagne is regarded as the cheap Charlie drink. No BS. You can buy a bottle for about 120 - 400 baht. Similar grapes and process as the French stuff?. but it tastes better ? but I would say that wouldn't I? ::

Useful tip if you're ever downunder - you never take champagne for your hosts when invited out to dinner - it's a social no-no. A good rich red or Chardonnay is the norm. So, it's another form of the same snobbishness as Spasso's I suppose. Your host knows exactly how little you paid for the bottle. We still drink champagne to toast celebrations (international custom I suppose) and to chuck in the punch at a barbie.

OK, before you pseudo-wine connoisseurs start talking about Chateau Sheep Dip etc, I've drunk gallons of wine in my life in many countries. You drink to suit your own palate. I had a glass of Moet Chandon a few weeks ago with an English couple celebrating their wedding anniversary in Pattaya, and thought it very average. Just buying a name?. waste of several barfines as far as I was concerned.

:beer:

"... had a glass of Moet Chandon a few weeks ago..."

All depends as you say on personnel tastes. Here in the famous California wine country, Moet Chandon (by the way, the "T" is pronounced, he was Ditch, not French!) the makers of Dom Perignon, have a branch called Domain Chandon. They make all sorts of Champagne, at all different prices, starting around $10usd per 750ml bottle...

> It's funny but back home in Australia, champagne is regarded as the cheap Charlie drink.

As far as I remember, Champagne may only be called so when made from grapes grown up in this area. We also have more or less expensive sparkling wine in germany, but it is not called Champagne.

"...As far as I remember, Champagne may only be called so when made from grapes grown up in this area..."

That is according to some French deal, same as Scotch can only be called Scotch if it is made in Scotland, however, Moet Chandon and a few others do not follow this "rule" and call their American produced product Champagne. :shhh:

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons to all you wine snobs...

By definition, if it is made in Australia or California, it is NOT Champagne, as this is only produced in the region of that name in France!! Perhaps it is called fizzy white plonk.

(Alright, I am not serious, but just you try 'borrowing' a Walt Disney name) :grinyes:

Archived