Milk - TOO MUCH MILK IS BAD!!!!

Nervous_Dog

"Japanese as well as Chinese and I believe Thais as well don't like milk. "

I'm sure the 1.5 billion Chinese appreciate you making sure everyone knows that none of them like milk.:banghead:

Funny though, I spend most of my time in southern China and there are several huge dairies here. Wonder who drinks the milk? :dunno:

Seriously though, I do agree that (SE) Asian food culture does not put the emphasis on dairy products that European does. :beer:

TH

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JP1,

as you point out correctly, Japanese, Vhinese and also Thais aren't big milk consumers.

However, milk rot is still a problem, and the majority of children we're talking about here on the forum does include Luuk Krueng, who most likely will have a liking to milk.

Could you explain what you mean by soft food??

Says limbo:

Hi JP1,

as you point out correctly, Japanese, Vhinese and also Thais aren't big milk consumers.

However, milk rot is still a problem, and the majority of children we're talking about here on the forum does include Luuk Krueng, who most likely will have a liking to milk.

Could you explain what you mean by soft food??

Limbo,

with soft food I mean that anything they eat does not require them to chew. Bread is soft, steaks are extremely tender, Sushi is great but you can bite it with your lips. Their teeth are mainly used as 'decoration'. In addition to that Japanese food is not rich in calcium, I believe.

when do the milk teeth come out?

It's very difficult to predict the above, but the first milk tooth should come out (as Limbo said) around the 5th-6th-7th year.

It varies from person to person.

The last milk tooth usually leaves at the age of 11-12-13!!!

So it could take well up to 6 years before they're all out.

However, the permanent molar teeth start appearing at the age of 7-8 so please do not confuse those with the milky ones :)

Guest lazyphil

<<Most important: Give water after the milk and NEVER let the baby sleep without brushing first, [color:"red"] even if you have to wake the baby up for it [/color] >>

:doah: :doah: :banghead:

My son had a similar problem but from his mother's milk. Never drank from a bottle, he'd go to sleep at night with mom's nipple in his mouth. Milk teeth grew in with decay but otherwise intact.

When he was about five a dentist in the US suggested a cosmetic procedure to improve his teeth. I'd never considered it figuring they were just temporary teeth. Putting aside the obvious financial benefit to the dentist he convinced me that my son would gain self esteem from an attractive smile, something I'd never considered in such a young guy.

X-rays showed these teeth would likely not fall out for a couple of more years and he was just at kindergarten age so I agreed. I think the procedure was something called veneering but no doubt there are different procedures depending on the patient. Took about a half hour and a huge improvement. My son was obviously proud of his teeth. The only regret I had was that we'd not done it sooner. So this is my suggestion to you. Consult with a dentist as soon as the time is right.

Hi Bahnawk,

It's a pricey treatment in Thailand considering they're only milk teeth and will come out one day or another anyway, and that's exactly the reason why most Thais won't ask for this.

Simply too expensive.

If you don't have worries about the financial aspect than it's indeed recommendable.

I'm sure the kid will enjoy smiling again, even at that young age.

"It's a pricey treatment in Thailand considering they're only milk teeth and will come out one day or another anyway"

Quite pricey in the US as well, $300 (12k baht) if I remember correctly for two teeth and the fact he would loose those teeth within a couple of years were things I considered as well. But the dentist who'd been in practice for many years and not hard up for the extra business (wait list a month long for kids) convinced me.

Not that I have extra money to just throw away but I have to note that I seem to be able to afford beer. If I have enough money for beer I've enough to help out junior with some improved self esteem. Might be a strange way to look at it.

There?s one difference I notice between Thai and US dentists. I think with the Thais being so sensitive about offending someone, especially a paying customer, dentists are hesitant to be critical and point out problems that are controllable with proper dental care, brushing/flossing (this isn?t a criticism of Thai dentists.)

In the US when I take the kids in I usually always end up with a bit of scolding, to get the kids to brush their back teeth better and so on. I admit I feel a bit guilty but welcome the critique. I don't know but maybe the Thais do the same with Thai patients? I?ve never seen the doctors or dentists attempt to critique my wife but then maybe she?s perfect (cough, cough) :)

Archived