Who will win the 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP ?

gobbledonk

P127,

As much as it gauls, er, galls me (sorry ...) to admit it, I honestly think France now have every chance of winning the World Cup. If they continue to play their own brand of attacking football, and avoid the temptation to do silly things in their own half (thats what cost the All Blacks last nights game), they can add another World Cup to the Tri-Color mantlepiece. I just have to wonder if, to this point at least, the majority of France could even care, given the total obsession in that part of the world with the round ball game. I know a lot of ex-Wallabies and all-Blacks make plenty of money in Europe, either playing or coaching, but I cant help feeling that it is simply a case of the code having the attention of (at best) 10% of a very large sporting pie. I am happy to hear otherwise, from any member.

The Wallabies have done very well from the bagging they've taken thus far, so I'll pitch in with some more : they cannot beat either France or England UNTIL they start to win the lineouts and hang on to crucial passes. Imagine how much *closer* last nights game would have been if Jonny Wilkinson had been taking those goal attempts for the Kiwis ? It was great to see the men in Gold hold onto a 12 point lead with ten minutes left on the clock - imagine trying to hold onto a 6 point lead with that England backline swarming all over every dropped ball (Mat Rogers .... I love ya work, mate, from your days with Cronulla on, but you've got to hang onto the f*king pill !). Enough said - win or lose, they are still our team, and I hope the Aussie sporting public supports them in the Final, regardless of the scoreboard.

BTW, what TV coverage are you getting of the games in your respective necks of the woods ? I'm sure countries like England have their own commentary teams out here, but what of places like the US and Asia ? I know that the Americans always prefer to hear their own accents in commentary, unless it's Steve Irwin intoning 'Crikey ! Look at the step on that bloke !'. :grinyes:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why he do dat

haha, I got that whilst trying to educate Miss Red in the ways of cricket......

On a related note... A funny thing happened at "BBQ's Galore" today. I'm looking for a BBQ, I love BBQ's, and am always after the ones with the most gadgets, so I gave the old one to lil sis, and am looking for a new one... The sales assistant is very obviously kiwi, so I ask her if she's going to watch the game tonight (purely out of interest, and politeness, as her arse was way too large for my liking)... she gets all defensive, and starts telling me the BBQ we were looking at was a piece of crap, and would fall apart in 2 years if we were lucky! Good that she was honest, but she didn't even recommend an alternative.. Wierd.

Never liked the big chains anyway.

The next 2 games will ge great... As Arty says, france certainly are the dark horse, and you can never write off neither the Aussies, nor Poms.. I'll be watching tonights game pissed and in tears as I'm still trying to put together this F&%K^@G barbie.

Hi.

Ha ha..i never buy anything that is not built....if there is 2 ways to do something i always pick the wrong option.

So if i put a BBQ together..it would look like a moonwalker machine..or from Star Wars.

Re Cricket

My wife has no idea..tried a few times..in and then out and then they go in again etc...OH way to much..ha ha

I hope we play the poms...French just look in form.

We are going to pub again to watch..great fun.

My wife understands. this game somehow :angel:

She was cheering louder than me..and no Kiwi said anything to her :)

There was a comment in the paper a few weeks ago..a little girl watching the Rugby Game and says"" why are they fighting over the ball? give them all one :beer:

Dear beloved brothers, awoke this morning, checked the Net and can confirm I wasn't dreaming we beat the Kiwis!

:bow: :bow::bow: :bow::bow: :bow::bow: :bow::bow: :bow:

I get Sky Cable over here with Aussie commentary. Good enough but no Roy and HG.

A few classic lines:

"the is MacDonald's first test as kicker and could be his last if he keeps kicking like that."

Best result for Australia today is in the spirit of sportsmanship, France take out Wilko with a few choice hits. England go on to win in overtime but are forced to field their B squad next week. :neener:

Artie, I thought we did well in the lineouts. Don't have the stats here but believe we won more of theirs than they of ours.

Whoever we play its an even bet: 20-point Wilko vs. the unpredictability of the French. Home advantage is huge and if we can play like we did yesterday, win or lose, the lads have done far better than early expectations.

Red, I've got an old Webber here in Tokyo if you can't assemble the new barbie. A few bits or "roast lamb" still there from yesterday but still good. What's on the menu today? Snails, frogs and a red wine jus? :grinyes:

Beautiful day here in Tokyo. Off to the park before joining a few Pommie mates in solidarity at a packed pub.

:up::beer: :beer: :applause: :applause: :drunk:

The French have been the dark horse in this race to the cup final.

----------------------

I understand but whoever wrote that in the press was not judicious, on account that France is one of 4 great teams in the world(1) at anytime, and like a Brazil or Italy in soccer, can never be discounted however off they may have been in the season prior to the meet.

(1) out of 4 cups, 2 finals, gave the 95 winner its closest match (SAfr in semis, 15-19), and out of 5 cups (03 included): add 2 semis so far to the 2 finals, worse being a quarter in 91. They are/were simply not favorite this year.

Hi pty127

True..they are a very good side.

Bit of a problem here tonight...rain and very windy.

The ball will swirl around from the high kicks and be hard to handle...and the big guys may have trouble staying on their feet.

Shame ..i was looking forward to a fast attacking game....now :dunno:

Hi

Johnny Cash ..defeated France....24 points for him ..no English try.

The wet ball did not help the french tonight...anyway the better team won on the night IMO.

France now play New Zealand on thursday night to decide third and fourth places.

Saturday night ..the big one OZ ..V..England.

Hope we get a dry track and see a good fast game.

At least I called this one right, and I hope you guys who seemed so confident about France feel suitably humble. :neener: :neener: :neener:

France were totally unprepared for the conditions and Michalak had a nightmare. Just goes to show what happens to inexperience under pressure. England controlled the game in the scrum and the breakdown and were much more disciplined, although I thought Betsen was unlucky to get yellow carded, he was only doing his job and he was committed. England were sloppy in the lineout though, and it would have been good to se them score a try, although I expect the conditions had a say in that. Wilkinson had a great game, but largely because the forwards were so strong and he had so much quality ball.

A pointer for next week. When Australia won there was jubilation everywhere, you would have thought they had already won the cup, although I dont blame them, they were underdogs and had a terrific game, contrast it with Englands reaction: handshakes and backslapping but a definite feeling of the job is not yet done. I hope Australia have not left too much behind with yesterdays game.

Looking forward to next weekend, it will be a great occasion and hopefully a great game.

Archived