Samui

khunsanuk

I'm no expert (having stayed in Chaweng just once) but I know that you do pay a premium for hotels that a) have a swimming pool and B) are actually on the beach.

If you don't require these things, then I'd recommend PK Chaweng Guesthouse. It doesn't have a pool and it's set back from the beach all of 2 minutes walk, but it has nice rooms, well equipped for only 600 Baht. Chaweng isn't very big, btw. You can get there and just take a look.

Hi boss,

my personal opinion, you will find different views : this island is other than the rest of Thailand nothing but a rotten place with unpleasant tourist spots. the small villages are a tasteless assembly of low end bars such as are the tourists, internet cafes and there is no class anywhere, class nothing to do with 'expensive'. I would rather spend 2 weeks at Sukhumvit Road under the Skytrain than one week there. Been there last year January. Horror.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by buffalo_bill:

Hi boss,

my personal opinion, you will find different views : this island is other than the rest of Thailand nothing but a rotten place with unpleasant tourist spots. the small villages are a tasteless assembly of low end bars such as are the tourists, internet cafes and there is no class anywhere, class nothing to do with 'expensive'. I would rather spend 2 weeks at Sukhumvit Road under the Skytrain than one week there. Been there last year January. Horror.

Cheers

I'll throw in a different view. I just got back from spending 5 days there with the GF and mostly loved the place. Did the sea kayacking at Ang Thong national park one day. Expensive at 1990B each, but a great experience. Spent another day exploring the island on a rented motorbike and hiking to a couple of waterfalls, also a great day. Also spent a couple of days just lazing on the beach. I stayed at the Natien on the North end of Chewang Beach. It was expensive at 2400B/night, but right on the beach W/pool and very nice.

Ranger

Ranger,

fair enough . As I said, just my opinion. Stayed at the Dusit Resort which has just wonderful bungalows but is a boring place because nothing in the vicinity, no real life I mean. Rent a car and went to an elephant's farm or whatever that was , then to another animal farm with monkeys , I think they called it monkey theatre. if you fancy sad , ill-mannered animals in a rotten environment these are the places to go. left either place after 2 minutes and went to the next town. was this chaweng ? Oh dear oh dear what a poor place.

I found the whole island downright disgusting, in particular the coastal tourist-villages. Friends of mine were there 2 weeks ago, they liked it.

cheers

Chaweng is definetly the place to Stay, my 1st time there in nov2000 I stayed in EverGreen Resort, it's bang in the best location between the beech and the main st. Great place with bungalows of various prices. This xmas I stayed up north of island, only place available, nearly killed myself going back and forth to Chaweng on the bike.

Personally I loved Samui but I'm unlikely to be going back, I missed the post 2am drinking, more so than BKK ................ ............ ................. well really when I think about it I missed a certain BG who I discovered had been taken to Italy, I was secretly gutted she wasn't there on my return. Chasing memories is doomed.

I thought you were looking for Hotel specific recomendations in this thread but seeings its going in that direction:

I am a die hard Lamai beach fan! But seeings as you blokes are in the company of your ladies and Thai at that I would suport Chewang as more what the ladies would want.

A few more boutiques, one or two more dining options. However I am not sure what level of solitude or quietude you are seeking. There are several options outside of Chewang, Lamai

though I am not sure that any of them have

rcently developed hotels of more than rustic value. There are some fine beaches not sure how much else. One thing that does catch my curiousity up at Big Budha beach is

a resteraunt with live entertainment (please forgive me my trespasses)http://www.secretgarden.co.th/history/index.shtml.

Of course for the rest of us lot who are not permanently atatched to lady friend, Lamai beach IS the destination of choice. I am sure youll at least drop by for a quick research gander. Note it's more compact design, which creates an exciting little center despite its small size. Allso note an equal number of entertainment venues to the larger Chewang, both in and out of the Sanuk categorie.

Hi,

Pom Michael:

"I have the latest "Free Samui Pocket Map - Accommodations" here, I'll drop it to you on Friday."

Thanks. Not 100% sure though if I'll be there this Friday.

Pom_Jao_Choo:

"I thought you were looking for Hotel specific recomendations in this thread "

Actually I was, but oh well, some of the other stuff is interesting as well.

Sanuk!

KS,

I stayed at Chaweng resort last November and I took a double room for 1450 baht per night.

Bungalows are a little bit expensive (200-400 baht more). American breakfast was around 180 baht per person.

I think now the prices are a little higher but I think you'll be able to get a room for 1700 baht per night.

The hotel is good and me and my thai girl felt confortable.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Swissman

Archived