New Business for TGF

camerashy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cameraman,

to be serious for a change , I would proceed as follows : nothing to be done in "urgency ". Since your gf seems to have experience in clothes , why not continue with this. What I would do : walk the roads and talk to the ladies selling clothes/t-shirts etc and all kind of fake goods under the counter. There are a thousand already but the profit in this business is enormous. Probably she finds one who is interested to share the business or you find an opportunity to open a new one. I would first of all talk to the local man in brown and ask what he thinks. Proximity to hotels of course is a must. I would then openly promote something like t-shirts for 99 baht with a big signpost in English and once somebody comes, discreetly open the wallet with the Lolex. Or the Armani handbag. Apart from this, enough money can be made with non-fake items.

The enormous advantage is that your lady seems to speak English. " How mut you can ? "

My gf ( Chiang Rai , clientele Akha tribesmen ) within 4 years opened 1 grocery shop and 3 restaurants, of which only the last venture was a success. First think and talk to people, it saves a lot of money and disappointment.

Bbill, inventor of the entrepreneurial instinct

As promised, I can now report that she has been talked out of the fish business (another hour on the telephone) and is moving hopefully in another direction, thanks to a fellow poster and the PM's. Hopefully this will be a big success for all concerned.

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated. ::

Whatever she does, she should look at acquiring an existing business instead of starting one up. She should look at 20 or more businesses for sale. Pick the one that fits her personality, make sure its a winner and she gets along well with the seller as they will be training her. Find out the real reason for them to be selling while she does her due diligence.

The main advantage for acquiring versus starting is let other people take the risk to see if the business plan will work. When she looks at 20 or more businesses, she can pick the ones that are working rather than a one shot deal on a pro forma business plan she starts up with.

Businesses that have a small investment and make around 20- 40K baht profit per month in BKK are hair salons, DVD and VD stores, play station cafes, mini marts.

Nothing is easy but with hard work. She can make it.

Good luck to both of you.

Let her check out the new Chatchuak Market on Rama 3. It is completely new built, and the tenants get special conditions for the first year. So far it seems to make good business at the weekends.

I don´t know much more for the moment, but I can try to get more infos.

Cheers,

Daniel

Whatever she does, she should look at acquiring an existing business instead of starting one up. She should look at 20 or more businesses for sale. Pick the one that fits her personality, make sure its a winner and she gets along well with the seller as they will be training her. Find out the real reason for them to be selling while she does her due diligence.

Easier said than done I'm afraid. Often a businesses success is down to the personality of the person.

Lets take an example a lot of board members can relate to, we all know that Edens has been for sale.

Yet we all know that merely buying Edens would in no way guarantee the continued success, in fact we all are pretty sure it would go down the pan.. same same any business.

The advice for anyone going in to business is to do what you enjoy and have enough cash flow to keep you for a year..

STH :)

Good point STH.

Since this lady has already been in business, we can all hope that she has the personality to operate a small business. (Better avoid buying Eden though :grinyes:)

Most small clothing, food stand, small vendor operations don't require much more that LOTS of hours, reasonable rent, and Location, location, location.

Yup, the best ones are ones you have an interest in and enjoy, especially with enough capital behind you not to give you the day-to-day panics.

:applause::bow:

Archived