New Business for TGF

camerashy

Showtime, thanks for the thoughtful and intelligent response. In my original post, I was hoping that some of the guys out there would have noticed some sort of small business that was 'out of the ordinary' but was still seemingly doing well. I realise that most of the posters here don't spend all their time in Nanaplaza or Cowboy, but live throughout Bangkok and indeed Thailand - so I was hoping someone might have seen something unique. (I guess Eden is a bad example of what I am talking about - selling the usual gear but with a twist ::).

But you never know what might happen in the future - a few exciting ideas have already been put forward, and may just lead to something more concrete. :beer:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says camerashy:

I need some advise urgently! My TGF has just recently sold a small business she had in Bangkok selling clothes, fashion accessories etc for women. She just found the ever increasing rental demands of the shopping centre where the store was situated, as well as the huge competition for womens clothes in Bangkok, made the business far less viable. So armed with a sizeable bankroll for a single Thai lady, she started looking around for an alternative business venture.

Somehow she has been convinced by a wholesaler at Chatuchak markets that selling aquarium fish in a store in central Bangkok would be a real goer. Stories of fish doubling their value in a few months due to increase in size have her convinced.

She put the idea to me recently while I was in LOS, but I am far from convinced. I mean, what sort of a market is there for this in Bkk? And of course, these things have a habit of dieing, which severely reduces their resale value!!

So my question is - what sort of business would you suggest I try to steer her towards? Is there anything comparatively safe that could be started up with a minimum of capital? I suggested some work in a hotel to make use of her excellent English language skills, but she won't hear of it.

All ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This no doubt bears little relation to your current dilemma, but...

But I'm a hopeless shopper. Unless I'm in the mood to shop (which strikes me about as often as the urge to visit the dentist (except my new very hot one, but that's another story)) I just can't do it. Sometimes I know that I need to buy something, such as new pants, and I go out to look at pants and wind up buying a new phone or DVDs or car or something like that.

What I need is a shopping consultant, to basically tell me what I should be and shouldn't be buying in all sorts of items, especially clothes. Preferably female with a good enough fashion sense that I don't wind up looking like I'm about to tee off on a golf course... in the 1960s... on someone's acid trip. :drunk:

Another business which no one STILL hasn't come up with yet (dammit do I have to do it myself??) is the hot chick Thai language school. There are many folks out there who either want to or must take Thai language classes and they tend to be somewhat of a commodity. Why not differentiate by making the teachers stunners? Course they'd have to be trained and able to teach and stuff, but the important point would be that they'd be smoking hot- all of them. I, for one, would study hard and wouldn't miss a lesson. ::

Some people finally started Subway, which ended my griping of the past 4 years. Will be interesting to see how they fare, financially, as I couldn't make the numbers work with the spreadsheet I drew up a while back. Course mebbe I misplaced a decimal point somewhere.... :dunno:

I like the idea of the exotic fish store and exotic fish restaurant. I'm sure that guppie sushi must have some novelty benefit for the tourists. :grinyes:

Actually I'm surprised that there aren't more themed restaurants here. Back when I lived in 'yiipun' there were all sorts of cool themed restaurants there like Alcatraz (diners are lead to their cells in handcuffs), a heaven and hell type place on two different floors with different entrances, decor and layouts, and other nutty places where the food is ok but it's the decor/shows that are the draw. In Bangkok it's one Italian place after the other- tho 'Corleone's' is opening up near where I live. "I try to get out... but they keep pulling me back in!" ::

Cheers!

I've been planning to take the plunge and try and help a friend open a small business.

Ever think of Airbrushing nails...as in fingernails?

There are many nail salons around where I live. All of them suck.

I'm an Airbrush artist and custom pinter by trade. A lot of my work has been

featured here in the States on the covers of Easy Riders, Biker magazine...Motorcyclist,

Sport Rider etc. I know a thing or three about this stuff. For $500.00 and a place to do it,

you're in business. Here stateside, bullshit regs require you to actually get licensed.

You can check online for stencils. You don't need any great artistic abilities. The paint is

non toxic. Why not hook her up going into a hair salon for one day a week. You'll need

a small portable airbrush compressor....$120.00....weighs 6 lbs and two or three airbrushes..

.I recomment Iwata HBC's $78.00 each stateside. and some paint and stencils. I don't know I

there's a market for it there, but here, just about once a week I feel like chuckin' everything and

doing bridal showers before weddings in FFLD county and rake in the bucks from rich twits.

If you need more info, just ask. Your Girl can train herself on all her girlfriends....earn while ya learn!

:applause:

One of the more unique ideas presented.

I've seen some good airbrush work in LOS on Bikes and Trucks but not nails. :grinyes: Although they do have lots of stick on stuff. :down:

A table in an upscale Beauty Salon would be ideal.

Good one :beer:

That's the whole key with my proposition. You practice for about 3-4 weeks on friends and neighbors.

You demonstrate in existing hair salons for 1/2 price (to cover materials). You take appointments,

deposits if necessary...you might not need to.....but sometimes if you take deposits, customers

are much less likely to blow you off. Think about it. You can start part time, work up to full time. You

are basically using some one elses place...you give them a small cut.. You're business can actually be

a draw for their business (this would be a good selling point to get your foot in the door).

When you go full time and prove the business model can work, rent your own place, hire

your own hair stylists and you've morphed into a nice little cash (Bhat) business. You do not have

to incurr a huge cash outlay in the beginning and you can work your way up to Ft employment.

Shit, sounds so good I might do it!

Wanted: one18 to 28 yr old Thai girl 5" - 5-4", golden skin, pouty pink lips, medium length hair,

killer smile, good heart, insatiable sex drive... must want to get married.

Ok, I know, time to stop dreamin'!

Says glimpy:

Shit, sounds so good I might do it!

Wanted: one18 to 28 yr old Thai girl 5" - 5-4", golden skin, pouty pink lips, medium length hair,

killer smile, good heart, insatiable sex drive... must want to get married.

Ok, I know, time to stop dreamin'!

:grinyes::up:

Just eliminate the 'married' part and you'll be fine. :grinyes:

Just 'train' the girls yourself ........ sort of a training franchise program. Heck they'll even pay YOU. You can be the supplies distributor, training expert, even issue a 'Certificate of Training'. Use a theme name and brand your service. Might even be able to wangle a visa as a "Foreign Expert".

If you would like to discuss this seriously.........PM me.

:applause::bow:

The advice for anyone going in to business is to do what you enjoy and have enough cash flow to keep you for a year..

Very true.

By the way, Eden was for sale but is not now. But if it was, that would be a business that the manager is very important and should be given phantom stock.( Phantom stock enables your key employees to share in the increase in company value over a time period. Unlike "real" stock, phantom stock does not convey any actual ownership in the business. A phantom share is a credit in an employee account for an amount equal to the value of your company's "real" shares.) The seller should give it to the mgr to get him to stay to fulfill the obligation of the buyout terms. As I said, hypothetical as its not for sale.

The bottom line, the business has to fit your personality and you must love it. The cash flow comes from day 1 though with a existing business.

Some people finally started Subway, which ended my griping of the past 4 years. Will be interesting to see how they fare, financially, as I couldn't make the numbers work with the spreadsheet I drew up a while back. Course mebbe I misplaced a decimal point somewhere....

We are doing better than we had anticipated and sell more than the average store in the USA. However our food costs is high because of the premium product. 40% on average which is very high for the restaurant business. As long as many people don't eat the turkey foot longs we'll be ok. :) 58% food cost on that item as turkey is 785 Baht per kilo versus in the States its 120 baht per kilo. So maybe your business plan had you selling lots of turkey sandwich then you were not missing a decimal. :) All and all, because we serve over 400 customers a day, our business model, is in good shape. One other thing to be aware of though, the 7% Vat, is included in the price and paid by the franchisee rather than the consumer in the States pays it. Thats a big swing!

Archived