Safari World

shotover

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some information from the Bangkok Post of an accident at DreamWorld last weekend. Note implying anything here, but just fyi ;

Lack of laws on joy rides worries expert

Anjira Assavanonda Sirikul Bunnag

Engineers overseeing the Octopus ride at Dream World amusement park may be charged with recklessness if a police investigation finds an accident that left four people injured on Sunday was caused by poor maintenance.

Pol Lt-Col Vinyu Tiamrat, a Thanyaburi police investigator in charge of the case, said he had asked an engineer at the provincial public works division to join the investigation.

Results of the probe should be out within two days.

Dream World's top executive would also be charged if lack of maintenance was found to be the cause, police said.

Parts of the ride, swinging baskets perched on tentacles of an octopus, broke loose, causing one of the baskets to crash to the ground.

The most seriously injured person, 13-year-old Puravich Kasemsuwan, suffered a cracked skull and underwent brain surgery at Ekpathum hospital.

He is now in a stable condition and will be transferred to Bangkok hospital as requested by his family.

Another victim suffered a broken nose and is being treated at the Bangkok-Phrapradaeng hospital.

The other two were slightly injured and have already been discharged from hospital.

Police investigators and provincial engineers inspected the scene of the accident yesterday. The popular ride was temporarily closed for a thorough inspection.

Panyawat Thongprasert, marketing chief of Dream World, said the park's maintenance procedures were up to standard and its game park equipment was subject to checks by provincial engineers at least twice a year.

Meanwhile, a child safety expert said yesterday legal loopholes were the root cause of the problem.

Dr Adisak Palitpolkarnpim, of the Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre, said as long as there was no legislation on safety management of amusement parks, similar accidents would be difficult to prevent.

There had been an attempt over the past two years by the Public Works Department to draw up directives concerning safety measures for amusement parks and children's playgrounds. The attempt stemmed from a fire at a theme park in Bangkok's Fashion Island which killed two girls.

However, no progress had been reported so far.

If the draft ministry regulation was endorsed, every amusement park would have to hire professional engineers for equipment maintenance and safety checks every six months.

In Dream World's case, he said the park had to be held fully responsible for the injuries.

``There are two possible causes of the accident, sub-standard installation and poor equipment maintenance,'' said Dr Adisak

SB.

KS, thanks for your reply and information. I second your comments on Dreamworld, and found that Snowworld was a big hit with the Thais (I even had fun there).

I also emailed the Safari World staff and was given the following information, which may be useful for other board members thinking about visiting this park. Good suggestion that we leave early to avoid the rush for return taxis to Bkk.

<<Many thanks for your interesting in Safari World. I am extremely pleased to introduce to you Safari World, Bangkok, and have enclosed herewith our information.

Admission fee for Foreign Tourist

Safari Park (Open Wildlife Zoo) Adult Baht 280 Child Baht 200

Marine Park (Show Park) Adult Baht 580 Child Baht 400

Recommended !!

Full Package : Safari Park + Marine Park (including shows )+ Jungle Cruise Adult Baht 700 Child Baht 450

* Children whose height under 100 cms. are free of charge.

You could come to Safari World by Taxi which may be arranged by your hotel staffs. It would take only 30-45 minutes from downtown Bangkok to Safari World and it will cost you about 300 Thai Baht. For Safari Park, the open zoo, you can use our free coach service through every zone of wild animals. For Marine Park which feature many shows at various locations, you may tour around by walk only.

Kindly confirm the operating day and show times at Tel. (662) 914-4100-19.

We look forward to be of service to you in the near future. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me or any of our staff.

Best regards,

Rosalin R.

Promotion Manager

GENERAL INFORMATION

OPERATING HOURS

Safari World is open 365 days a year,

- from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ( last entry to Safari Park at 4:30 p.m. ) on weekdays

- form 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ( last entry to Safari Park at 5:00 p.m. ) during weekends and public holidays.

*Park operating days and hours are subject to change without notice.

SAFARI PARK (OPEN ZOO)

The ultimate Safari experience features hundreds of wild animals from all around the World. Highlights include Wildlife Feeding Show. You are welcome to take your car or ride on one of Safari's luxury coaches into the Park.

MARINE PARK (SHOW PARK) Attractions include:

- New! Jungle Cruise River Adventure, a fun-filled water flume ride through the tropical jungles of Africa and Asia, featuring the most advanced animatronics and special effects.

- 6 exciting shows daily - the world's greatest Spy War Action Stunt Spectacular, Dolphin & Beluga Whale Show, Western Cowboy Stunt Show, Bird Show, the world first and only Orang Utan Boxing Show and Sea Lion Show

- Hundreds of exhibits: White Tiger, Fancy Carp gardens, Tapir Kingdom,Tropical rain forest aviary, Crocodile garden, Macaw island and more.

- Adventure lsland, Games Town.

LOCATION 99 Ramindra Km .9 Road, Klongsamwa, Bangkok, 10510 THAILAND.

TELEPHONE ( 662 ) 9144100-19, 5181000-19

FACSIMILE ( 662 ) 5181022, 5181033, 9142959

E-MAIL info@safariworld.com

HOMEPAGE http://www.safariworld.com

Guest lazyphil

<<Remember years ago, I was at the old Magic World. Went around looking at all the rides and the labels on them.. Ahh this one was made in Thailand - "No thanks". Ahh here is one made in West Germany. "Germans are great engineers, lets go.. Wait a minute, it has been thai maintained for at least 20 years. Shit">>

Better stop riding the baht buses then--maintained in LOS etc--but ah you dont have too because you drive your own car and I assume then you maintain it yourself to ensure the integrity of its safety :dunno:

Hi,

"at Dream world everybody has the same choice , pay per ride or buy the book of tickets"

Yeah, that was kinda how I understood it as well.

As for maintenance in these parks, I had a close look at some of the rides in Siam Park City and decided that neither I or any of those with me would be going on any of the rides in that park. Some of them looked like they were kept together by the rust only.

Sanuk!

I ate ONCE at the Meridien Restaurant at the top/52nd floor of the tower in Jomtien Park.

Knowing that I was 1/10 of a mile in the air, in a rotating restaurant in a tower probably built and maintained by Thais <"the people who build multi-story bamboo scaffold lashed together with string"> gave my stomach a queasy feeling.

Even more queasy than the terrible food itself, which was no small feat!

Archived