Any recommendations on a digital movie camera?

New Petchburi Pete

Here's that question again: should I buy one here or there?

Well, since I live in BKK (but in States now) my inclination would be to purchase there; but, I'm open to suggestions.

Also, who can recommend a decent, but, not high-end pricetag model (because the technology changes so fast ? ... or maybe it won't with a digital video camera). :dunno:

I welcome and appreciate any advice and recommendations. Also, if someone has had very negative experiences with a particular brand name, I'd also like to hear about that.

O.K.

But, can you tell me what 'NTSC" is? ... like I said, I love photography; but, digital movie cameras is a new ballgame for me. Also, are there any pointers with respect to attaching to my computer ... assuming it will ever work properly again after Dell's 'Award-winning tech. support' (actually subcontracted) installed a new hard drive, and laptop screen, sound card today ... they forgot to ship the modem (Psion Gold card 56K global) which also 'died' on me in BKK last Aug. 8 ... which almost drove me crazy. BTW, their tech. support is in India! The tech did load the XP Corporate edition that gummi picked up for me ... but, he left all of the softwate to me ... and, that puts me in dangerous territory ... yes, gummi, I'll need your help again! ... I know you're busy, but I'll call you as soon as I get back ... hopefully before Halloween .... I want to use the great mask I got for $5.00 :grinyes:

I am sure there is some more info online. Basically there are 2 types of televisions. NTSC ( north american and Japan...) and PAL ( Asia and Europe). A "thai" PAL camera will not work on a North American TV since they are mostly (99.99%) only NTSC. Most Thai TV are Multi and will play both NTSC and PAL.

SO buy NTSC you can use it here and in the US. If you buy PAL here you could not use it on most TVs at home.

Most digital vid cameras come with a firewire cable with can be hooked into a [color:"orange"] FIREWIRE card [/color] for either your notebook or desktop. (about B4000) I beleive some of the new cameras have a USB2 Hi Speed cable which can be connected to the computer but I have not tried it yet.

You will also need a large harddisk. every hour of video is about 13G on the Hard drive so for editing you need some space. Also I would suggest at least a 1G processor or you will be there all day rendering the video when you make it.

Happy videoing

Palatik

Thanks for the link. Is there a 'Camera City' in BKK? I see a little Thai script on the web page (well, I think it's Thai!).

.... just for comparison, check out 'Worldwide Direct' (New Jersey) at: www.buydig.com ..... that's where I got my Fuji FinePix 6800 digital, zoom camera for $642.00 while they were selling at retail stores in Massachusetts for up to $900.00 + ... I got mine before it appeared in some retail stores! I 'll bet that model, or something similar if they've changed the model now sells for significantly less!

>Is there a 'Camera City' in BKK?

Yes, it?s a Thai based outfit I think. Earlier this year I brought a product from them in BKK. Checked out the camera I wanted in the shops first, then got this company to deliver same model to my door at a discounted price the shops were asking. However I?m sorry I misread your title and tought you wanted still camera. I think Camera city doesn?t advertise video.

You could try

http://www.sinsiamelectronics.com/vdocameramenu.html

to compare prices in Thailand.

Archived