How to say...

Pharcyde

Stew said:

"Phom mai dai phuut" = I didn't say that? or I don't say that?

'I didn't say that' because 'dai' always indicates a past action

How to say: "I don't know how to say it in Thai"

How to say: "I didn't recognize you"

How to say: "Do you know a good place to eat?"

1. 'pom mai ru ja atibai pen pasa Thai' (or something like that)

2. 'pom mai hen / mai sang-get khun' no direct word for recognize in this context

3. 'Khun ru jak ran aharn aroy mai?'

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what does "wang-ai" mean? Thai speaking on phone, first thing she says is this. She explained it to mean something like "tok-long" which i understand to mean "ok". ???

How to say "just" in thai. As in, "i'm just going to wash my hands". "I'm just going to use the bathroom".??

wa ngai " say what " something like " what have you got to say" very common way of answering a phone casually.

I cant think of any translation of "just" in this case, You would simply say "Im going to wash my hands" ( pai laang mue ) or" Im going to the bathroom" ( pai hong naam )

How to say: "I don't know how to say it in Thai"

phom phuut ben phasaa thai mai dai

How to say: "I didn't recognize you"

phom jum khun mai dai

How to say: "Do you know a good place to eat?"

pai kin khao tinai dee?

>>>>"Do you know a good place to eat?" <<<<

Also, there is....... "pat-ta-carn (ran aahan) dee dee yuu tee nai" (Where is there a good restaurant?)

Note: 'pat-ta-carn' is a more formal word, than 'ran aahan', for 'restaurant'.

The above is only good to use if you are truely looking for a good restaurant. To ask only for 'where is good food?", you could, in theory, be directed to a food court, cafe, or a street vendor with "Aahan aroi maak. Dee thee soot". ;)

HT

Hi Stew,

What does "Alai-waa?" mean? When can u say it? It always seems very bad to say unless u r 'close friends'

"Arai Waa" simply means "What?" or mayby more in the sense of "What the Heck?" However, it is a much more crude expression than "Arai Na" and it is often not appreciated if foreigners talk like this. Obviously, thais are free to use it in any conversation with you :doah:

You can use "Waa" at the end of a number of sentences, the use is not confined to the combination with "Arai".

Phuut Arai Waa

Yuu Nai Waa

Haay Pai Nai Waa

etc.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Stew said:

what does "wang-ai" mean? Thai speaking on phone, first thing she says is this. She explained it to mean something like "tok-long" which i understand to mean "ok". ???

is a contraction of 'wa yang rai' or What's up?

How to say "just" in thai. As in, "i'm just going to wash my hands". "I'm just going to use the bathroom".??

pom kae pai hong nam 'kae' can also be translated as 'only'

what does 'tah' as in 'yak rujak tah khun' mean (i want to know all about u?)

I know a few words for 'stupid', what degree of polite/affectionate/insulting is 'ngee ngaow'?

'ai kee gaek' = dont be so cocky? Can i say this to a girlfriend?...

Archived