Break-In

Sarisin

Says follies:

Sarisin,

Sorry to hear about that. I've been there.

Won't go into detail, as you've got plenty of "I was robbed too" feedback, with good info, however mine was in Malaysia. My solution was to get the biggest f*****g dog I could find. It was not mean (at least it never killed the maid
;)
) but I never had any more trouble. Don't know if that's practical in Thailand, but it worked for me......

Yes, I don't think getting a big dog in an apartment in Thailand would work. Besides, I am allergic to most dogs and cats.

Maybe the recording of a dog as someone suggested. But, the problem is that I have a maid and she would likely not care for having loud dog barking when she shows up to clean. ::

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sarisin,

Sooo sorry to hear this, dude. Wow.....20K. A major loss.

I've been through this twice. Don't worry. Time heals all. It is natural to blame everyone around you for what happens, as a knee-jerk reaction, but that will soon pass. You simply had a couple of bad elements within a particular society, invade your privacy, and your life. The Thailand you loved before, is still there.

I know exactly how you feel. You blame everybody, and feel betrayed. A natural reaction. But it will pass. Your friends are still your friends, and the people you surround yourself with, are still those same people, as are the one's you see on the street every day. Look upon it for what it is. A robbery by a couple of assholes. Don't let that change your outlook on life, or the people around you.

2 apples don't spoil the whole barrel. I know where you are from, and know you can understand the wisdom in that old phrase.

HT

you could probably reduce the suspects to those who knew both that you'd be out of town for two weeks and had substantial valuable in there, somebody who is close to you. if that is the case you may notice in the future a change in the spending habits of that person.

Sarasin says:

(owner was busy, guards wouldn't go)

Sarasin also said that the guard that was on duty that night

did not show up for work-

HMM THERE YOU HAVE IT MY FRIEND

(THE BEER IS ON ME WHEN I COME BACK HOME IN 3 WEEKS)-

PS-

I cannot say I have not been worried about my condo since i read your post even tho it is in an extremely high end condo set up---

:: ::

ALSO I AM STUNNED THAT YOU LOST 50K IN BONDS OOOUCHHHHHH :shit....geez louise

I am really sorry for your loss Sars. As you know my appartment was burgled a couple of years also. TV, Videorecorder, CD's, Camera.

I know about the feeling. I never moved though and the guard company was changed within a week. The guards didn't do it, but a girl I had taken with me a couple of times. She claimed she was my gf, and the guards got her a key to let her in. They let her walk out with all of these appliances. I was pissed at them. The building owner immediately changed guards and I replaced my locks. Since then they have installed CCTV in the whole building, with videorecorders and they actually ARE recording!

I also had a written letter taped to the desk of the guards, nobody can move stuff out of the farang's room if he is not there. This got me into a hilareous problem a couple of weeks ago when I asked my gf to get me an empty suitcase from my room and the guards didn't let her go untill I came. And she lived with me for a year already!

Good luck anyway, I hope that at least the other police officers are being reprimanded.

CM

With the commuting problems in BKK, may be unpractical, but anyway i throw this in:

maybe using the (NanaP) expat network, one member could kind of look after an other's dig when he's gone. You can tell the appt office clerks a friend will stay when you are gone, and the guy could make his coming in and out, even every few days or once, conspicuous to that staff.

Well, a friend can do that too, and i have a feeling this is what you will do on your next absence.

:dunno:

I think that probably the way you might be feeling about Thailand and Thai people right now would probably get ediited if you wrote it.:cussing:

I am sure most of us can feel like this at times.........

That sucks the police were laughing. Even in my city, if you get robbed, the po po are not going to make a big deal about you being robbed. Cops seem to get jaded all over the world I think. I think this is why they even have thier own "cop humor" here in the states......I could never see them laughing at me though. I suppose in Thailand, that is their way of saying to you that you can do nothing about it and you have absolutely no recourse. I think this is a good example of what can be hard about living in Thailand. Here in America, you could take the apartment owners to small claims court. You could lose, but you could take them to court anyway. In Thailand, it seems you are just screwed. You know it, they know it :(

If nothing else, this is an opportunity for people here to learn something. If you;re gonna leave town, ya better go down to the Bank and pay for a safety deposit box. As P127 says, "It is not IF, is WHEN you will be robbed"

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think and hope it will help our fellow countrymen here ::

Rug

Sarisin,

I was very sorry to hear about this a couple days ago from some mutual friends. Hope you will one day get over this disheartening ordeal and not let it affect your love for Thailand and its people. As everyone has said, over time these feelings will pass. I was broken into twice in the states years ago and know how you feel. It's not a good feeling for sure.

I think the idea of some sort of a reward you should consider. If you can maybe get back some of the things of a sentimental value at least this way it would be good.

Just yesterday while I was sitting at my computer someone tried to burgalize the house across the street from me here in Surin, and this is a very safe and quiet neighborhood, with a retired cop and a retired army man living here who keep an eye out for the neighborhood. (You know, it's weird. I have never once seen a police patrol car patrolling the neighborhood, day or night. Must be too busy writing up motocyke riders without helmets I think.) A big lock and hasp kept the crooks from getting in the door I was told. So they stole some clothing on the drying line, jeans of course. But what got me was the fact that I was sitting right there, my back to the sceen door to my small porch which overlooks exactly where this was happening. Makes one think of security.

One thing you may want to consider, whether you move or not, is always having a friend or buddy you trust stay over in your place when you leave for longer periods of time on trips abroad. We always have someone stay in the house in Surin while we are away in Bangkok, or some other place. I know, it does suck a bit having someone living in your private space, but the peace of mind this brings while away for longer periods of time is worth it. Something you may want to consider in the future. You have many friends in Bangkok, and around the world, Sars. One of them would probably be only too happy to watch your place while you are gone sometimes. Maybe even have a buddy who is visiting the LOS while you go away stay at your place instead of a hotel while you are away. Saves him a few days hotel costs, and gives you the peace of mind knowing someone you trust is there while you're away. Just need a change of sheets and pillowcases once you're back if they've been shagging ladies on your round, red velvet bedspreaded, fuck palace of a bed! :-) You do have a mirrored ceiling in your bedroom, don't you? :-) Sorry, know how you hate emoticons! I don't know how large your present place is, and if it has a guest bedroom, but if you do move you might want to consider getting a place with two bedrooms so you can have a guest room where someone can stay while you are away. A thought anyway. Just makes it easier for you.

Also, there are these portable burglar alarms they sell in the states, don't know if you can find them over here, that can be attached easily to any inside doors of your apartment/condo, even hotel room, which emit a piercing noise once the door is opened while you are out, a noise that can be heard quite a distance, especially in a quiet condo or apartment building, or hotel. They are easy to install and arm, and aren't very expensive.

Just some thoughts. At least you weren't harmed physically in this crime. The violation and suspicion and loss of your personal things and valued sentimental things, not to mention the monies themselves, does suck big time though. Hope you recover from this violation of your private space quickly, and the pricks who did this are caught and punished, and maybe you get back a few things you valued if possible.

I will be in Bangkok on the 18th this month for a few days, and would love to see you and have a beer or two and a chat. It's been a while since I last saw you. I no longer have a valid email address so we can co-ordinate our schedules and meet up. If you send one to me by PM we could arrange to meet one afternoon/evening. I'd like that.

All the best my friend. Good luck, and hope they catch these jerks. It certainly does sound like the guard was in on it. Be safe my friend.

Later Sars,

Cent

sorry to hear about your loss. inside job? you are probably correct in your assumption. that was a hell of a lot of security the burglers had to get through to get into your home. is your home so well insolated that none of your neighbors heard any of the commotion?

anyone of the people you suspect have a peculiar interest in the progress of the investigation? i would let out that the police have a great set of prints and are looking at a possible suspect. sometimes if you shake the tree a coconut will fall. good luck and hang in there, better days are ahead.

Archived