Break-In

Sarisin

A big lock and hasp kept the crooks from getting in the door I was told.

------------------------------

yes, it's a sad thing to see that even in my GF's small village, her mom puts a lock on her stilted house any time she leaves for an errand (though i suspect she does not trust her eldest daughter too ::). I certainly was told this was not necessary not so long ago.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I build a simple alarm system for my warehouse, should work well in a bkk condo too:

wireless intercom, phone that has re-dial feature ( most do now)

motion sensor.

the phone mic is wired to the wireless intercom ( intercom in send mode all the time)

motion sensor activates the phone, it calls my cell phone or home number ( depending on where i am, but can put in any number)

any activity in the warehouse activates the phone, i can hear what is going on and take action.

so far no problems, but one of my workers came in after hours and I

got the "call" . ( kind of an unscheduled test)

pretty fool proof ( I do have the phone wired into the phone line, more secure would be on a cell phone) and the system is in a inconspicious metal box, so less likely for a burgler to disable it.

probably all this stuff is avalable at the radio shack store on bkk.

I was burgled in the UK a couple of years ago. I was in bed asleep at the time. The fuckers could have raped me!

The slimey little sheeites got in through a louvre window in the kitchen. Didn't hear a thing. They went into the front room and got personal items, including undeveloped photos in a camera which were obviously irreplaceable, as well as about 700 baht on a shelf (dipshits probably thought they'd hit pay dirt).

3 sets of police came out, the detective told me that he'd been burgled himself and he had an alarm fitted but he'd been complacent and didn't use it. Used to sleep with lights on in landing thereafter for months as well as keep a 3cell Maglite torch by the bed in case of a return visit.

Funny incident occurred about a week or so after the robbery. I went into the kitchen to put my work shirts in the washing machine. I then discovered that they'd robbed a bumper box of soap powder, worth less than $10.00 US. It must have been a real pain to carry that away. Other people have since told me that they know of people who've had their clothes stolen. Bizarre what goes through the minds of burglars.

Re Thai police, my mate was scammed by a smartly dressed woman he met in the Wat at the end of Khao Sarn about half a dozen years ago. She'd taken him out to jewellery shops and all sorts of nonsense and when he'd told her that he was going upcountry guess what so was she and she wanted to meet him later to finalise arrangements. He has mug written all over him.

Luckily we met an American girl who was on her first day in country. She'd also met a middle aged Thai woman in the Wat. Went out for the day sightseeing, paid extoritionate amount for boat trip etc. She also wanted to travel in Thailand and this time the woman was offering to go on the train with her down south.

Putting two and two together we went to the police station at the end of the road. Myself, the girl and a young police officer looked out from the inside whilst my mate went to keep his rendezvous. The woman turned up, surprisingly on time for a Thai. The girl confirmed that it was the same one who'd scammed her. So we legged it over the road and although she tried to flee the copper nabbed her. She was very upset.

The policeman asked if we wanted to have her charged at the station or whether we just wanted the money back. My pal and the girl didn't want to go through the hassle of filling out forms and just wanted the money back. So the copper strolls off with this woman as she was allegedly going to her nearby room to pick up some money. He comes back 10 minutes later without the woman. He held her purse in his hand. He claimed that the woman had given it to him for security and had gone into an apartment block to get her money. She never came out. Looking in the purse we discovered toy shop money. Whether she'd cut a deal is anybody's guess. So no money back for anyone and the prisoner lost. He was all smiles and jovial too. Sanuk na? Funnily enough we saw the same woman later the same day down by the landing stage on the river. She was ever so surprised to see us and took off at lightning speed for a Thai up a side soi. She was with a Chinese looking Thai guy that time so she could have had other accomplices too.

I've never been robbed in Thailand, but it has happened to me elsewhere. Once, I lost $7000 worth of stereo equipment from a storage locker. Another time when I lived in California, I couldn't even think of having any kind of stereo in my car - it would be gone in 30 minutes. They even tried to steal my whole car once. In any event, I always had insurance to cover the loss, but that didn't really help with the initial anger and frustration.

Rex

Sarasin,

There are some excellent infrasonic alarms that you might consider. They work by monitoring barometric pressure and should easily cover a very large apartment. The best feature of these things is that they are totally portable.

Here is a link to one vendor: ASI

I was going to PM you the name and email address of an ex-MACV type green beenie spook here who turned me on to these things but you have PMs turned off. I've seen these things at work and they work exceedingly well. If anyone attempts entry into your apartment when the unit is switched on everyone in the building will know about it. Actually most people in surrounding buildings will be aware of it.

I hope you find a new place soon and get some semblance of comfort back.

So ... how does home insurance work here???? Do they send someone to valuate the property beforehand or what?

How can you be sure that the insurance is sufficient to cover the lose??? And most imporatantly, is the isurance available for low life like me who is just renting a condo?? And the cost involved??:

Gracias!!!

Says Sarisin:

I still have not been able to get the expat owner of the guard company to return my calls. I have heard that the guard who was supposed to be on duty during the time of the theft has not turned up since for work and is missing. Hmmmm.

Someone at my company suggests I retain a lawyer and go after the guard company. But, I am not sure for what. Proving what was stolen might be difficult.

Here's what you do.

Go after the farang expat manager.

It won't get your valuables returned but it'll surely give you some satisfaction.

This SOB is probably on a high expat salary and he can't even be bothered to return your calls. What a prick!

Okay, he probably works for a multinational as, as far as I'm aware, Thai Guarding/Security companies don't employ expat managers.

With many multinationals cost-cutting by replacing expats with local staff, tell him in no uncertain terms that you hold his company responsible as the guard on duty that night has disappeared, that you want action and you'll make it your mission in life to get him fired if he keeps giving you the runaround.

Contact their head office and tell them if nothing is done, you'll go public. The HO hates bad PR. Try to post names on all the major Bangkok forums. Light a little fire under the manager. There's a multitude of ways to make life a little uncomfortable for the overpaid little prick.

This may not work but it's a great way of letting off steam. ;)

Again, I have to thank all of you sincerely for your comments, suggestions, and similar experiences.

I had planned to respond to each post, but I believe I will stop for two reasons:

1. I am trying to get this whole thing behind me as much as possible and move on. By writing about it each day it is with me day...and night as I try to sleep. It is bad enough rattling around in my brain without writing about it ad infinitum.

2. I don't want to draw this thread out. I think I have described sufficiently what happened and you guys were great to join in on the thread.

I am not saying close the thread as there may some lessons to learn for others here. I am just saying I will bow out of it graciously, if that is possible.

I will say this...

I met with a Pol. Col. yesterday and the case is being worked. I reported it only a week ago, but it is getting some attention. Also, I will be consulting with an attorney this week on a variety of issues. And, my apartment search continues with not much success, but I am out there looking actively.

Thanks again, all for your input. :)

Not many people get contents insurance but it is certainly available. I was just playing with the figures and seeing how much each it is.. It seems to be about 700-800 B/ yr for about 250,000 B of personal junk. I have a few paintings that are worth about 700$ each so they had to be insured as a special item. Not sure if they will come out. But I am sure they have never heard of John Newby, a canadian painter so they would have no way of valuing the paintings.

We will see, what happens as I just applied for it. will keep you informed.

Archived