Number of posts:Does it matter?

TroyinEwa/Perv

Hi all.....I do not want to start a fight here so, Mod, if it gets out of hand, please close it or delete it. I have not seen it on this board so doesn't seem to be an issue. You can see by the number of posts I have, that I have not posted too many times in comparison with some people here. I am wondering if I made a bold statement about something, not sure what, just something in general about the sanuk scene, would it be taken seriously by the long time posters or would they laugh it off as a newbie. The reason I ask is that just because a person has 5000 posts may not make that person more knowledgable that the guy with 5. The guy with 5 may have visited Thailand dozens of times and has either just found this board or chosen not to participate too much. Again, I want to stress I have never seen this here. Thanks for your input.

Troy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 128 post and already making bold posts like this.

Now, if you're in P127's league...

Just kidding, IMO any reasonable post by anyone, being it the first or post number 10K, will get its due respect. Don't worry about it.

>if I made a bold statement about something, not sure what, just something in general about the sanuk scene, would it be taken seriously by the long time posters or would they laugh it off as a new

A "newbie" on the board means exactly that - on the board. Could be a long time LOS resident who never or rarely posts.

However, quite often, a newbie would be a newbie on both - on the board and in LOS.

That's where the difference comes from: a well introduced person who knows the coordinates can make a very valid point in the very first post.

A "double-newbie" may say that same thing in a way that's inflamatory, derogatory, racist...whatever and get trashed for it.

Basically, what could have been a "valid" point became a "bold" statement or worse.

Anyone can do that - even old members with many posts.

Not everyone knows how to turn a bold statement into a valid point.

well, he's not talking of my league, only the 5000 posts league ::.

Posting does not mean anything other than the member enjoys participating in the board, and may also appreciate "seeing" a few good buddies every day without having to hit the bars.

The board has a lot of depth, and it's happened that someone who rarely posts does floor everyone else with a judicious take on a topic. I probably make a good point every 500 or so posts, but again the idea is to enjoy participating and debating, not show one's knowledge. Well, outside of Pattaya topics, of course.... :grinyes:

taken seriously by the long time posters or would they laugh it off as a newbie. The reason I ask is that just because a person has 5000 posts may not make that person more knowledgable that the guy with 5.

Yes...IMO

Some guys like to read many threads of favorite topics and not post at all.

Then the others like to join in ..up to the posters and the forum/topic the post is in'.

Just enjoy and learn from the joint knowledge of the many members on this board. :rolleyes:

I came to Thailand 30 years ago and was one of the first half dozen posters on the original Nanaplaza board around the end of 1998. But my number of posts here is far below that of other many posters. All the number of posts really means is that you are bored and have a hell of a lot of time free to post!

:beer:

Hi Troy,

I think it's pretty meaningless.

>>>>I am wondering if I made a bold statement about something, not sure what, just something in general about the sanuk scene, would it be taken seriously by the long time posters or would they laugh it off as a newbie. <<<<

I wouldn't worry about it. You will always have some posters who will think they know all, based on the fact they have been with 500 b/g's, compared to another with only 20, or even 1, under their belt. Or an expat who has lived there for 5 years, so believes that anyone with less time there, could not possibly know what is going on there. But they are in the exstreme minority, I think.

Conversly, if longevity and experience is a major factor in intelligence about all things Thai, then what about the newbie who makes his first post, and has lived there for 30 years? :: Being a newbie poster does not translate into being a newbie sanuker, or participant in things Thai.

It just doesn't matter. You have expats there living 10 years, and cannot even speak the language. And the same with number of posts. That can be very deceiving, as well. Some posters write pages, and answer all questions in the same post. While others will start a new post to respond to 6 different people, resulting in 6 posts one right after the other. You also have the poster who rarely writes more that 1 sentence per post, but posts often.

What should make you a good poster, is putting some thought into what you say. Good posts, or threads can come from anybody. From the guy who just signed on today, to the posts of the most prolific of posters. But even he will tell you he has maybe 1 insightfull post out of 500 :: (hey PT127....you said it, I didn't. :neener: ).

Most important thing is to have fun with it, and remember, hey.....it's just a web board.

Post on...... :)

HT

All the number of posts really means is that you are bored

------------------------

I disagree. i have never been bored in my life.It is more to be looked as an addiction to the internet, if we address potential negatives to posting daily.

I also think that for expat multi-posters with/or participation in multiple forums, it's a nice way to be a bit outside of their 100% thai world and correspond with like-minded peer group or fellow westerners.

Says TroyinEwa1:

... I am wondering if I made a bold statement about something, not sure what, just something in general about the sanuk scene, would it be taken seriously by the long time posters or would they laugh it off as a newbie ...

From personal experience, as a relative newcomer, I would say that anything you have to say will be treated on its individual merits( Unless it's a blatant bit of advertising, or breaks the rules in some other way - read them first. )

I've never felt that my posts were treated as unworthy, or ignored, and I've only been here a few months !

:devil::beer::devil:

Archived