Bare Back Sex and a Guys Aids risk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LaoHuLi says:

"I have also known at least 3 straight guys who got infected here. I suspect that I have known many more, but they like a lot of the workers, have just disappeared from the scene and gone home to die."

Not wishing to detract from the seriousness of your message, but the guy who I know in the UK, looked bloody well when i saw him about 5 weeks ago back in London. More likely the westerners go back home to get treatment, which for many countries is free (including the UK, where he is from). He reckons he has had it about 4 years, but looking at him you would never guess it. Apparently takes about 5 tablets a day and the virus is know considered undetectable, although it still exists in his body. Really nice guy and he works full time as a builder.

Interestingly as I said goodbye to him, he told me that his doctor reckons he has another 30 years in him based on rapid progress of treatment, not cure. Perhaps he thought I might not see him again!!!! By the way he is 33 years old.

Cheers

But is it really a 30 year rose garden? Do the drugs inhibit all of the symptoms or just some of them? Every drug has side effects, both known and unknown so what additional side effects will one most likely be living with every day? And is 30 years based on current drugs on the market today or is it based on a projection of better drugs in the pipeline panning out over time?

>> But is it really a 30 year rose garden?

Life is a rose garden, plenty of thorns, with or without taking any medication.

>> Do the drugs inhibit all of the symptoms or just some of them?

Symptoms? What symptoms? There is people around that is HIV+ and even without taking any medicine they feel fine. Unless it develops into AIDS there are no really symptoms.

>> Every drug has side effects, both known and unknown so what additional side effects will one most likely be living with every day?

Some retroviral medications have very strong side effects, but some don't. Things are improving and new drugs are under test . There is people around taking retroviral medication witha perfect quality of life, the only pain in the ass is having to have taken blood samples time to time.

>> And is 30 years based on current drugs on the market today or is it based on a projection of better drugs in the pipeline panning out over time?

As far as I remember the current estimated average time before somebody under retroviral medication, develops AIDS is something like 20 years, but it's an ESTIMATION. You have to consider that the current drugs on the market have not been there long time. It depends a lot when the pacient started taking the medication, how is tolerating it. Latest studies seem to conclude that is key the CD4 count the pacient has when starting the medication.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a test done on my last day in BKK, negative thankfully! There's a clinic in at the end of Soi 22, just after it joins another Soi on the left and then turns right. 'fraid the card they gave me is all in Thai so cannot read the address. The telephone number is 0-2261-0471. They do speak reasonable English there and the test cost 250 TB.

If the odds are 1 in 60, that is something to be concerned about.

Look at the math. One encounter, the odds are 1/60

Two encounters, the odds are 1/60+ 1/60 or 1/30

three encounters, the odds are 1/60 + 1/60 + 1/60 or 1/20.

The greater the number of unprotected encounters, the greater the probability of receiving a lucky ticket. Some claim having sex with a condom provides 100% protection but I have never seen such information provided by sources that are reliable such as the CDC.

Archived