Bare Back Sex and a Guys Aids risk

Lots of variables at work here to break it down so simplistically.

Could be that a person goes out fully suited and booted and has sex exclusively with hiv positive sex workers and never catches it. Alternatively a person in a new "loving" relationship could go bareback, as the female partner who is unknowingly hiv positive takes oral contraception, and hits the jackpot first time.

There was some research published about 18 months ago about how circumcised men have less sensitive skin on the tip of the penis and are somehow more resistant to picking up infections. Can't recall who published it, what the stats where or whether they had any hidden agenda to get us all to throw away condoms ala Catholic Church.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AIDS isn't the only thing you can catch. There are other nasty diseases like hepatitis C. Then there are lesser diseases like the clap. You might not care about those so much since you probably have the money to go to the doctor and get a pill or a shot, but think about the girls who you are endangering. They might not be as able to get treatment.

AIDS isn't a death sentence anymore? Yes it is. It just takes much longer to die, but unless there is a breakthrough most people who get it will eventually die of it, even if it sometimes will take more than 10 years. And it is a long and nasty way to go.

True, although the reason to ask the question would seem to be to decide whther it is worth the risk or not. I get the impression that some people are so focused on AIDS because it is the worst thing you can get that they forget about all of the not-as-awful but more common bad things that can happen to you or the girl.

Going bareback is selfish.

It's my understanding that when a person contracts HIV it is usually accompanied by some type of STD. So the discussion of STDs is valid when discussing HIV, the point about putting the girl at risk is something to think about especially when the life expectantcy is greater for you coming from the west, then it is for a poor BG who can't afford the medicine to pro-long her life.

>>a poor BG who can't afford the medicine

hiv most definitely is still a death sentence in thailand. Typical thai will never know that they have it until they have symptoms caused by aids itself, then its too late.

The gov't does underwrite part of the cost of anti-retroviral medicine at state hospitals, but if your body cannot withstand the first meds they give you at 500baht/month, then you have to go on the 1,500baht per month meds. The care thais get at state hospitals is questionable also, the people showing symptoms get first dibs on the medicine, if you don't have symptoms you may not get meds until you do.

Even in a population of 60 people? :dunno: ::

What if 2 of them are behind 3 doors and Monty Hall asks you and there's a dead cat in a closed box behind the other door?... :dunno:

To give a straight answer to the original question, I seem to remember a guide figure of one in three for men and one in two for women. That's if the partner is HIV positive already. Heterosexual average intercourse - women catch it more easily than men. (No, I'm not going to give links - I'm not flyzonzewall!)

bibblies said:

To give a straight answer to the original question, I seem to remember a guide figure of one in three for men and one in two for women. That's if the partner is HIV positive already.

No, not nearly this bad. The epidemic would be much much worse if it were that easy to catch. Those odds are more like for some forms of HPV (warts), which are very contageous. HIV is more like 0.1% to 3% per "act", depending on who you listen listen to. And that's all things being equal.

Thing is things are never all equal, and there are still lots of unknowns, so it's not a very useful game to play. Some of the other posters are right - there are too many variables that dramatically effect the odds: viral load in carrier, STD in either partner, circumcision, individual genetics, etc...

Sukhumvit said:

There was some research published about 18 months ago about how circumcised men have less sensitive skin on the tip of the penis and are somehow more resistant to picking up infections. Can't recall who published it, what the stats where or whether they had any hidden agenda to get us all to throw away condoms ala Catholic Church.

Yeah, circumcised guys have less of a chance of catching it. Theory as to why is that the forskin has more immune cells (to fight off STD's), which (ironically) can be invaded by the HIV virus.

The Catholic Church takes an unconscionable position on condoms, IMO. They still maintain that they do not protect against HIV, and I've seen their evil propagana in many latin american countries.

Archived