Don't Nail The Coffin Shut on NEP Just Yet...

Sarisin

I don't get out much these days, but with friends in town, and it being Loy Krathong and all I decided to have a look in NEP. I have to say I really enjoy Loy Krathong in the entertainment districts as you can take the plainest looking BG in the world, dress her in Thai traditional wear, put makeup on her, and, voila...you have a very, very beautiful lady. There were many of these around last night from the beer bars, to the gogo bars (not dancing, obviously), to the streets. Yes, I still like seeing the dancers on stage in scanty garb in NEP, but having the Thai ladies in traditional Thai get ups is a very nice treat too.

My friends and I went to six NEP bars last night:

ANGELWITCH: You can argue all you want about what the best gogo bar in Bangkok is. You can write up all the negatives you like. But, you only need show up in AW any night, virtually at any time, and you will find the place packed. Last night was no exception. It was SRO from about 9pm on. I saw a number of potential customers walk in, find no place to sit, and turn around and walk out. They have hired a number of dancers the past month and currently have 128 on the payroll. I think there is some real quality (looks-wise) in with the quantity. The owner told me they had their second best October ever - this with the crackdown and APEC. The show is still good, but I am getting tired of it. Obviously, though, many are not tired of it. IMO Angelwitch remains the flagship gogo bar in Bangkok.

HOLLYWOOD ROCK: Certainly not packed like AW, but a decent-sized crowd. Actually, about the same number of dancers/staff as customers. I don't think you would want to go to this bar looking for stunners although there are a few cute ones (one of my friends barfined one). But, there was a real festive feeling in the bar with the balloons being burst and the Thai dancing on stage. When not playing Thai music, they play good rock music - hence the bar's name.

EROTICA: OK, I really like this bar. This was the first time I was there they had a full contingent of dancers dancing on the ceiling - you know what I mean. At least a dozen, most of whom were au naturel, were raising a ruckus up there. Going upstairs to interact with them is big fun. Again, I don't think you will discover a plethora of uber-stunners in this bar, but there are some fun girls here. For a real eye opener, just have a look at the footgear in this bar. Not just boots here. No, you can find funny-looking socks, sneakers, spiked high heels, and even bare feet. The bar was crowded when we were there and the dancers love to interact with you from the stage. Finally, some of the best, if not the best drink prices in NEP. 110 baht/beer, 90 baht ladies drinks.

HOLLYWOOD2: I went there with two girls in tow at about 1am. The bar was so crowded we could not find a seat and left. Plenty of dancers looking quite nice dancing on stage. I would like to have stayed as there was a big party atmosphere there.

CARNIVAL: Probably the sparsest crowd of the bars I went to. Still, it was late and there were at least 20 dancers on stage and the same number of customers. We just stayed for one drink during which I made a mental note to return due to a couple of very cute dancers who were playing eye game with me despite me already having two ladies.

MANDARIN: We got there around 1:30 and stayed until closing. The bar was packed with few empty seats downstairs - I didn't look upstairs. Plenty of frisky, wired dancers on both stages (the ones upstairs were really rocking) and lots of interaction with the customers. This bar had plenty of energy although I can do without the very loud disco non-stop music there.

That was just a sampling of six NEP gogo bars - all were pretty good. Yes, it was a Saturday, holiday evening, so that may have had something to do with the crowd. And, yes, I still like Soi Cowboy a lot.

You may note that I did not go to any Crown Group bars. That was not by design (the girls chose where to go as they had friends in other bars), but I would normally steer clear of them. Still, if the drink prices put you off that much, do like I did in college. Get a couple of bottles of cheap booze at the grocery store or wherever and get yourself lubricated before you go out. Then, go to the bars and nurse your 125 baht drink. Honestly, the high drink prices don't affect me much as I am not much of a drinker and do not go out that much anyway. Still, it is the principle of the thing, isn't it?

Anyway, despite a number of recent reports about the dying nightlife scene at NEP, I suggest you see for yourself, and you decide whether it is time to start shoveling dirt on the NEP sanuk scene. I am not ready to do that yet. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, last night I was in AW too and at 23:00 there were many places left (even at the stage during the show-time). You are right, AW is still the best bar in NEP, but I didn't see a single breast in AW? For me, NEP is like a Mc Donalds: If you know one bar, you know the others too (exceptions are the independent bars like AW). May be the reason is, many bars belong to one group/ owner. NEP has the highest prices, even they don't have to pay for showings. And why are so many empty places in NEP and why are so many bars closed? As long as they don't change, I don't like the place.

For me, AW is still the only reason to go there. SC and PP are better alternatives because they have by far a wider diversity and the main reason is, they have something like a heart.

Could someone please list all the bars in the Crown Group. There are lots of references to the Crown Group Bars but I would like to bet that not many people know which bars are in this group.

Thanks guys,

Uniformguy :beer: :beer:

[color:"red"] But, you only need show up in AW any night, virtually at any time, and you will find the place packed.... [/color]

They run a good bar, all three mamasans know how to work the hustle, they have sexy almost hinting towards a bondage style uniform, and the simple fact that they have really sexy girls working there.

When I pop in and it is too crowded I always bounce immediately. And I usually head right over to my favorite nana bar.

Certainly not the best but the most fun for me, and 30 feet from AW: sexy nights

Sarisin: "You may note that I did not go to any Crown Group bars."

The tentacles of the The Evil Empire stretch farther than you think. Carnival - Crown Group bar. Note the ugly gas station attendant style polo's worn by the service girls. Standard Crown Group issue. Also, Hollywood Rock is now in the Crown Goup fold. At this rate the renaming of Nana Plaza to Crown Plaza can't be to far away.

Peter1964: "NEP is like a Mc Donalds: If you know one bar, you know the others too"

You hit the nail on the head. The Crown Group are about to begin rotating the mamasans from bar to bar like fast food chains do with their managers. They say this will prevent standards dropping in any single bar. What it will do, of course, it will just maintain the same level of blandness in all of their bars.

Cheers,

Khon Ken

Once again, I ask...politely....could you please name all of the bars in the Crown Group so we can all decide if we wish to patronise them or not. You seem to know a lot about them, so now I know two Carnival and Hollywood Rock what are the others...

Thanks

Uniformguy

Archived