SWISS Airbus A340, not impressed

thalenoi

I flew Bangkok/Zurich last friday night and was not impressed by SWISS.

No newspapers when boarding, the lousiest food I had in 30 years flying (totally tasteless), seems they are saving on all items possible, crew, well not any better than BA or Qantas...

As for this new plane, the Airbus A340, 8 first class seats, 48 business (looks good) but cattle class is cattle class, 172 seats if I remember correctly, seating is 2-4-2. Not sure leg room has improved over their MD11, I have short legs and when the passenger before me reclined his seat I got uncomfortable. I had a window seat and the only one on the flight to have an empty seat next to me, but there is nothing you can do with a second seat.

The in flight entertainement is ok, video on demand is a nice touch, if at least they had decent movies...well, It allows you to begin watching movie number two and three and four...

Before landing they were supposed to show a list of connecting flights and gates on the screens but that did not work.

Zurich has a new terminal E interconnected by automatic train to terminals A and B, but it takes some time to walk through the corridors, count on 30 minutes as opposed to the 15 you need between gates in A and B. I used to like Zurich exactly because the easy connections...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am becoming an expert on cattle class, unfortunately.

I was recently surprised that Korean Air no longer puts salt and pepper in those plastic condiment bags they give you with your meal. You have to ask for it. They will give you a newspaper though, but it helps if you read Korean.

Lufthansa serves a cold meal on the BKK-MNL leg.

Thai and PAL, despite their sometimes old equipment and flight attendants, provide pretty good old fashioned service. Catering is relatively good from their home bases.

Flight attendent of the year honors goes out to Miss Ng, of Korean Air, based in Hong Kong. I hope she notices me next trip. ::

When people book flights, I don't think how much space they will get is really part of the selection process; it's price and schedule. As long as it stays that way, I'd expect even bolder steps into squashing more people in.

ER,

I agree, people get what they pay for. The trend is to further upgrade the buz. class and to squeeze more people into Eco.

One cannot expect top class catering or service for the price of a few hundred $$ on a longhaul flight from BKK to Europe and v.v. Airlines have to survive fierce competion or they get broke.

Don't get me started on Airbus...!!! Absolutely the shittiest things flying, fly by wire systems that fail regularly, composites that break down before schedule, pain in the ass to trouble shoot, they have to practically give them away to the airlines to get them to use them...lousy government subsidized pieces of crap...

OH,

this is a bit exaggerated, don't you think so? Airbus in meantime is the biggest producer of civil aircrafts and is not more subsidized than Boeing. AB doesn't have a military section that is subsidizing the civil aircraft sector. Please take this into consideration and as for crap. This lousy crap is ordered by more and more companies and they're happy to fly these aircrafts. :)

Archived