Whiskey recommendations

Zaad

I did a search but found Thai whiskey only.

I need some good recommendations for the finest whiskey :)

I enjoy the ocassional drink and therefore want to equip myself with some good quality whiskey.

Went to the liquor shop today to find a substitute bottle for my emptied Chivas Regal. Enough choice but I'm not an expert on this so I chose for safety and bought the famous Black Label (johhny walker) ...pretty good. A 1 litre bottle for 1000 Baht. Not cheap.

Lots of other cheaper imported waters for 400/500/600 Baht but I have no idea about its quality.

Just to name a few...Jack Daniels, MacKinlay, Ballentines, Jim Beans, ....

Are these any good?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's lots of good ones and a huge price range, but taste is somewhat subjective. Black label is ideal to me. Tastes good and hangovers more mild compared to other stuff. It's not so expensive that adding mixers is sacrilege either. I learned the goodness of black soda's from Thai's and have been hooked on it ever since.

Believe it or not but I KNEW you'd be the first one to reply here :hug:

(how often have you heard that one?)

I actually like to try new stuff, bit of a surprise but it's even better if it's recommended. My expectations will be higher in this case. If I'm not mistaken I had that Crown a few months ago...was OK. Might go for Daniels next time.

It's all a matter of taste really, if you like it, it's good whiskey, if you don't, it's shite. A couple of years ago a consumer organisation did a 'blind' tasting test on a selection of whiskeys and suprisingley a supermarkets own brand, cheap blended whiskey came top :eek: IMO, if you like a whiskey with a kick in it try a Grants single malt, if you prefere a smooth mellow taste try a Jamiesons (Irish) :beer:

I much prefer the Irish,

Bushmills, Black Bush etc but I do have a soft spot for Highland Park :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Failing that any good stuff most will do the job.

I'd like to see F.J's recomended list. ::

True to a point, but for some reason Burbon is supposed to be from Kentucky only, same deal as Scoth, Champagne Cognac having to be from certain certain regions. I think JD and JB are actually sour mash whiskeys, Burbon if I recall is also stronger, 90 proof and up.

Surprised no one mentioned The Glen Livet scotch...

Archived