30 day tourist visa

daveh

Lucky me. I'm planning to be around BKK/Pattaya about 2 1/2 months. I don't live near any Thai consulate to apply for a long tourist visa.

Can get 60 day tourist visa inside Thailand after nearly using up the standard 30 day after arrival? If so how long and cost for this?

The other option I suppose is to leave Thailand and return each 30 days. Can just get stamped out and return for new tourist visa at border without entering the border country like Cambodia, which charges $20 for their tourist visa?

If I go in and out of Thailand twice to get new tourist visas, each 30 days, would Thai officials complain about doing so?

Which border run would be quickest by bus from BKK and/or Pattaya?

Many thanks.

If you have time, you can always mail in for the visa. There is a Thai consulate in Los Angeles, and you should be able to call them up and request the necessary forms, or have a look on line. There might also be a service in your city that specializes in visas for travel. Have a look in the yellow pages.

As OH says, best bet is mail in and get a 60 day tourist visa, then extend in BKK for an additional 30 days.

Can get 60 day tourist visa inside Thailand after nearly using up the standard 30 day after arrival?

no. you can only get tourist visa's from outside Thailand.

If I go in and out of Thailand twice to get new tourist visas, each 30 days, would Thai officials complain about doing so?

you can do that too. Note technically you are talking about visa on arrival's, not tourist visa's for this case.

Which border run would be quickest by bus from BKK and/or Pattaya?

poipet i suppose.

Also, you can extend the 30 day on arrival to 45 (albiet for 1900B!). Do this twice and you only have to do one visa run.

As for thai official complaining - yep, some of them might complain, insult you, give you dirty looks, etc., but they mosly just follow policy, which lets you do visa runs as much as you want. The extension is supposedly at officals discretion, but as long as you present yourself well I've never heard of it being a problem.

"If I go in and out of Thailand twice to get new tourist visas, each 30 days, would Thai officials complain about doing so?

you can do that too. Note technically you are talking about visa on arrival's, not tourist visa's for this case."

Actually, if we are being *technical*, he is talking about an automatic right to present one's self to an immigration officer in hopes of getting a 30 day entry permit. Only available to certain nationalities. Visa on arrival is for those not qualified automatically for the above.

Visa = the document needed to allow you to give your passport to an immigration officer. Call it a prequalification, if you will. Entry permit (stamp) = the thing needed to enter the country and also shows the time alloted you to stay. There are guidelines, but "if you can enter" & "how long" are ultimately & entirely up to the immigration officer. Two very different things! This applies to any country worldwide.

But that is only if you are really anal about details!

Cheers,

SD

Archived