Moved to Thailand in November AND..things aregood!

Thanks for the info on the apartments, I have a month left living at High Tech and have time to browse. I will look in to your suggestions.

As for learning Thai, also thanks for the input. I have purchased the book "Thai for Beginners" and "Thai for Intermediates" by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. I also have her Dictionary which translates English to Thai, THai to English, and written Thai to English. I have heard and it is stated in the book that to learn the language it is best to learn the writing system first. Although it is not as fun. I think learning a little of both speach and writing is the best in my situation.

Funny someone mentioned the flash cards. I have already puchased flash cards about a week ago and planned on doing the exact same thing as suggested. Great idea. Also with the books I purchased they included tapes, I hope to buy a tape player that you can record with. I plan to record myself speaking Thai so that I may hear any mistakes I am making. Man is that ng sound they make hard to do.

As for being worked over by a Thai girl. We'll, not much of a big problem. I though she liked me more than my cash. She came over a couple of times after her work and the second time she asked for a bar fine as she told me the mamasan saw her come to my place. I told her I wouldn't pay, I didn't beleive her. She got real bitchy and things declined after that. I actually confronted her on a couple of things she said that I didn't think were true and, that was the end of that. I think the whole loss of face thing applied. Beleive me it could have been much worse. This was the first gal I met here and she gave me the whole, one son, father died, family poor, cannot pay to eat, need money, hate being a bar girl story. I felt incredibly sad for her and wanted to help her. Two weeks later I find the story is true but her getting demanding about me giving her money isn't the way to go about things. Anyway, I wish her the best. And I learned a valuable lesson fast.

Still don't know how you guys do get a Thai girlfriend, you make it sound like you can just pick them up at the store. I'm off to the local supermarket to check out the good cook, good personality, cannot speak English Thai girlfriend section. I hope they are on sale.

Anyway guys, let's make this year 2004 our best ever.

Sawatdii bii mai

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mnvinaz,

"Still don't know how you guys do get a Thai girlfriend, you make it sound like you can just pick them up at the store."

sure try Robinson, a karaoke bar, a restaurant or even better sisters of TGs with farang BFs. :: Also in the street!

Don't interfere with other farangs GFs! :devil:

elef

How can you not get a girlfriend if you don't want one?

Let's see, at the Rama IV Lotus, there was the girls at the food court (one at the now defunct chinese place where I could get ba mee bpet, the two girls who selling kao mun gai and gai tort), one cashier, the girls at the McDonalds who I use to buy fries from, then there's the girls where I play pool, the people who I come into contact with while working, and various food stall women. Oh, forgot about the cute girl at Major Ekkamai bowling!!!

Just talk to some Thais.

As for learning the language, how much time do you have? The AUA course is pretty cool if you have the time to go atleast 8-hours a week. 200 hours cost me a little over 16k I believe.

<<burp>>

Still don't know how you guys do get a Thai girlfriend, you make it sound like you can just pick them up at the store.

-----------------------

These are not GFs, they are romances, a few days, a week, maybe a month, etc.... Don't encumbrate yourself with thoughts of a gf, if it happens good, but Thailand is one hell of a place where you should not worry about girls. Right now, focus on how to get settled as you first planned before you went there.

Thta job, I gather very little thai is needed then for it? Is it a lot thru phone mostly? Sounds encouraging anyway.

Happy New Year

pattaya127 said:

Still don't know how you guys do get a Thai girlfriend, you make it sound like you can just pick them up at the store.

-----------------------

That job, I gather very little thai is needed then for it? Is it a lot thru phone mostly? Sounds encouraging anyway.

Happy New Year

Hopefully not boiler room job ::

"Still don't know how you guys do get a Thai girlfriend, you make it sound like you can just pick them up at the store."

If you have money and spend time arount tourist hang-outs, women will find you. That's why they are there. If you want something a little more "real", get to know those Thais you can, but take plenty of time, years or you can hold out that long, until you make any serious comittmentm, either emotional or financial. You will find (or may have found) many people on this board who are in happy realtionships based on gernuine mutual appreciation (supply your own interpretation here), but have been burned two or three times before finding the one he was really looking for.

Good luck in that department - its certainly the most difficult part of staying here.

RickF

AHAHAH, not a boiler room job, but I understand they are very common. In fact I've had opportunities already. I don't feel like seeing the inside of a Thai jail now or anytime soon. The job is legite, sort of, but I am selling a real product and one I feel is good.

Ok Ok, so I wont play the shy routine here. It's just funny to think that I should be hitting on gals that I cannot communicate with more than a few minutes. I find it rather dull after a while of non-conversation sitting at a dinner table, but....they always look good.

I do want to tell you about a small victory I had a couple of nights ago. I met a Thai girl that spoke NO English and I was the one who had to use Thai and translate. I actually did ok.It may seem small, but like I said, it seemed like a victory.

A couple more things for people thinking of moving here since I've had a few people tell me they plan to do this. I think all may have had a jump on my situation because they have visited before, but here's a few things I recommend.

Start studying the Thai Language NOW. Get a book, listen to tapes, take classes, talk with people in Thai restuarants.

After the move get setup initially in a month to month apartment if you do not have a job before you come over. Check out high Tech towers or VIP towers. It may not be exactly what you want but it will buy you time to find a job and locate the apartment you want near your job. Plus both have farangs for contacts. Hotels are super expensive and if you stay in a nice one the first few days, you wont want to down grade.

Start looking for companies you can work for paying non Thai wages. I only wish I could make just 40 grand US dollars here. I'd be a rock star.

That's all the advice I have right now.

I flew back in to Bangkok today.I've been sort of missing the place, but during the taxi ride to my apartment I could only think that I'd rather be in Chang Mai. I think Bangkok was put on this earth to mess with peoples heads.

Another thing....I officially challange Fierly Jack to a steel cage match to the death. Two men enter, one man leaves, two men enter, one man leaves.

>> Another thing....I officially challange Fierly Jack to a steel cage match to the death. Two men enter, one man leaves, two men enter, one man leaves. <<

LOL, in this case, my bet goes for FJ.

Btw., thank you very much keeping us updated! I really enjoy reading your stories. Please keep them going! :up:

Archived