Trade getting larger....

"Is there another descriptor for "moral" pleasure travelers?"

Good question. I've been toying with 'sexpat' but know that won't rise up to your moral height. Wonder if 'randy bachelor' couldn't do the trick. Just the hint of innuendo in there, eh?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the original post ==>

"The increase of sex services shows that the government's war against poverty is not effective."

He said 33.9 percent of prostitutes had entered the trade because they had no other form of work, while the rest turned to prostitution to supplement their income.

And forward=>

"My recollection is that the outlawing of prostitution in 1960 was imposed from abroad as a condition for receiving loans and development assistance. There was no domestic groundswell of support for a ban."

~~~~~~~~

There was a very strong correlation in the US during the go-go days of the internet boom with a reduction in petty crimes. Crime statistics of this sort went down to levels not seen in 20+ years in fact. Why? As the economy heated up & jobs became so available the thieving ones got to work and went legit.

Mind you, I don't mean to insinuate even a hint of criminality into the Thai side of this analogy, rather, read into this an -- "I have to do this to get by, but only till I can find something legit" similarity between them.

If petty US thieves could be tamed with a decent job in the states what would be the catalyst in Thailand to make the trade shrink? Wouldn't there be a strong correlation to the trade and the 97' crash? And, if so we should be seeing it shrinking as the economy improves.

To correlate the trade to attainment of higher education, economic cycles and the standard of living metrics amongst the population and the economy since the 60's would be very interesting I think.

Just wanted to jump in here while thinking about. As I had said before, you have to remember that this study was over a 4 year period (1999, 2000, 2001,2002). I can only conclude that it was a 4 year study, and mentioned it included interviews. What needs to be remembered, is this is not a snapshot of the prostitution scene at any given time. If two girls were working in 1999, and left to get married in 2001 never to return, their numbers are still included in the totals. Two girls take their place in 2002, and they will be counted also.

So while only 2 girls are working now, the numbers in the study will be showing 4 workers. Because you have to remember the study was about workers who served in the industry over that period of time. It did not include the numbers that had left. An important fact if you are trying to get your head around there being 2.8 million sex workers right now. It is not what he is saying. And given the short lived nature of the business, the number leaving, at any time, during those 4 years, could be quite substantial, bringing the total actually being involved at the end of 2002, down by a huge amount.

Just something to remember.

HT

I would assume that 'sex tourist' would (rightly) include the Japanese salarymen or any and all other asian nationalities that come with nooky(foremost) in mind.

Why would it not? There is no nation-centric bias in the 'sex tourist' stigma that I am aware of.

Sorry, Gohok, but I have to disagree, at least in terms of Western perceptions of what constitutes a 'sex tourist'. Invariably, the image is of a white, middle-aged male, ruddy of cheek and corpulent of frame. Asian men relish the perpetuation of this stereotype, as it removes the spotlight from their own activities. BTW, I am not anti-Asian or even anti Asian males, but I am very much against hypocrisy, and it seems to be a staple diet in Asia.

"...what constitutes a 'sex tourist'. Invariably the image is of a white middle-age male, ruddy of cheek and corpulent of frame...I am very much against hypocrisy and it seems to be a staple diet in Asia."

I believe discretion enters into this labelling and in this regard the Asian males excell. It's done ST on the premises, and usually the other side of a Outer Ring Road equivalent, or kept in a safe location as a mia noi arrangement. Out of sight and thus out of mind.

Add perhaps a threadbare fashion sense to your excellent painting of a sex tourist, however, and you capture those lacking discretion. That is, within the nearby vicinity of NP, SC, PP, BR and PT--right in the centers of the choicest real estate in Thailand--at all hours, farangs with a TG in tow, living out the GFE and spilling out onto the streets. Highly visible and thus jangling the sensitivities of the natives.

What is hypocritical is that farangs, if not outright welcome, are tolerated for the most part at venues catering to locals whereas locals are effectively banned from the farang scene.

Can anyone imagine an area in the prime of your hometown allowing foreigners exclusive rights to party, copulate and parade with the native maidens? The punters would be lynched by the second day and the pleasure palaces razed on the third. That it has existed as is for 40 years is truly part of what makes Thailand amazing.

I can definetely sense this beginning to change, however. Not the end of prostitution, and particularly the hard to tabulate grey areas, as the end is hardly nigh, but the 'in-your-face' way it is practiced in the farang quarters adopting to the time-honored local ways by being forced to learn the art of discretion.

As this would also muddy the image of what constitutes a sex tourist, this would be a good thing, no?

Well sir, as I read your post I was all set to disagree when I realized...he's right. Discretion is the better part of valor, isn't it?

And, perhaps we (westerners) brought it upon ourselves too, weren't we REALLY the foolish one's IMHO to set up the flash and glitz of the go-go establishments? :cover:

While the planeloads from the east were descretely ducking into the MPs?

Archived