Trade getting larger....

Exactly. Good points. Soi 10, for a minor player, was a major eyesore. Something had to be done and it was handled in a Thai way. Without it, phase 1 accomplished, it is now possible, albeit with blinkers on, to stroll down Sukhumvit or ride the skytrain and not really be exposed.

I see the go go's only existing in Patpong as a non-P4P tourist attraction as it typifies the reputation of Thai nightlife and its titilation value quickly wears thin. Let the package tourists, as they stroll the night market and pop in for a cold one and seeing only people like themselves, think that's what it's all about.

But the real action will be in the pool halls and discos, on the peripherary and operating in a 'grey area' but upscale and stocked with freelancers, calling their own shots. I was suitably impressed with these places, a major development in a thrust away from the girlie bars (and attendant police corruption and employer exploitation) and IMO a definite change towards the better.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Well I did have a walk around today. Didn't see anything resembling this discussion. Out of curiousity thought of asking a cab driver but wasn't sure what to ask for. A gambling hall, you say? Fluorish, you say?..."

Yes, in the ethnic communities of this fair city, these establishments are common knowledge, especially in the Chinese community...

"What did I miss?"

Nothing much. Just an example of "farang" go-gos that are almost exclusively populated by Ippun gents.

One of our favourite sports is to go upstairs at Baccara. When our group of farangs come in, the older Ippun gents pay thier bills and leave LOL! We do not say a word to them -- they just do not want to be there with us. Good fun and since we spend a lot of $$ there, the mamasan does not care (actually laughs about it when inquired :)). The younger ones stay around and usually are fun to party with...

Cheers,

SD

Boy this thread has gone in many directions and interesting side topics. But getting back to our 2.8 million number or cut it in half if you don't like it, what the article is saying is prositution permeates everywhere in thailand.

Granted this is a falang board about thai issues, so logic says people will discuss the three main bkk areas, pattaya, phuket sex areas and even rathada/petchburi areas. What we are missing is that these areas probably make up just a fraction of the overall numbers and percentages.

Yes, bkk is big but overall only one of of six to one of ten people live in bkk based on what stats you believe, so really in order for these numbers to be so high, prostitution is happening the same of even greater out of bkk and in the country-side?

Bkk and pattaya might be the most interesting places to talk about for us, but where prostitution is happening if you believe the numbers, I think you need to look at thais and thai lifestyle elsewhere other than just bkk......

Who can comment about thai prostitution in the country-side? I will assume bkk prositution makes up only a minority of that overall figure whether it is 2.8 million or less......

Cardinalblue

sfinkz said:

But the real action will be in the pool halls and discos, on the peripherary and operating in a 'grey area' but upscale and stocked with freelancers, calling their own shots. I was suitably impressed with these places, a major development in a thrust away from the girlie bars (and attendant police corruption and employer exploitation) and IMO a definite change towards the better.

With a bit of luck, with these venues being a "grey area" the early closures may come to an end, assuming everyone behaves themselves for a while.

Archived