DVD Situation in BKK right now !

dsab

Today I had a day off, and ventured around BKK to find some DVD's, and I have to say the vendors are coming back bigger and stronger then before the crackdown.

First went to Seri Center...that was quite disappointing. DVD 5 150 Baht and DVD 9 250 Baht...and the choice was not that big.

Then went to Panthip. Vendors are still quite cautious, and for sure not the best place at the moment. DVD 5 went for 130 Baht, and DVD 9 for 180 Baht.

Next I was off to Chinatown. I was at Phanrep (Sa Phan Lek), and was stunned, that I hadn't found it earlier. Thought they had a great choice, and the DVD's went for 100 resp. 150/180 for DVD 9. If you bought more then 5 you got discount. Can get down to 85 / 130 with a bit of bargaining.

Tonight I went to Silom, and on the way back walked via Patpong. I was really surprised to see, that they are probably the best place in BKK for DVD's at the moment. Huge choice of DVD's, even offering not so mainstream DVD's and Music DVD's. All the TV's Sets you can imagine (All 4 Soprano Sets, Friends, SATC, Band of Brothers, Simpsons etc.) on offer, even with matching Collector boxes. prices vary. Most of them charge between 120 and 130 for DVD 5 and 180-200 for DVD9. Bargaining is difficult, but possible.

The thing that surprised me as well, was that they have most DVD's at the Stall now. No running and getting them.

My favourite is the still the shop in Patpong. DVD's go for 100 Baht (if you say you come regularly/always get the price etc.). Their list has currently 1100 titles, and the black ones on the list are 100 %, and the red ones are the 95 % Qulaity DVD's. Only 215 red ones on the list. They don't have all the TV Series and Films (as for example Sopranos or Bowling for Columbine). TYhe good thing with them is, that you can bring the DVD's back, if they are not working. No problem at all, as you always know where the shop is located.

But as you can get them on all the other stalls without any Problems. The best ones were close ton the BTS Station.

So, stilll everything available, maybe even more then before the crackdown. :up:

The DVD-5 is a Thai copy and of poorer quality (usually filmed inside the theater with a video camera and transferred to DVD format).

The DVD-9 is from Malaysia and of better quality as it is an actual digital copy of real DVD (including original soundtrack). Sometimes they only say 'Malaysia' and often in white cases.

Hi,

From my understanding DVD5 is single layer and can only hold 4.x Gb, while the DVD9 is dual layer and holds 9+ Gb.

The DVD5's therefore more often than not do not contain any of the additional features (behind the scenes, making of, etc)

Since the price difference is fairly low I only buy DVD9s and have yet to get a bad copy.

Sanuk!

I just saw, that I made a typing mistake... I wrote that the shop in Patpong has 215 red DVD's out of the 1100... that should be only 25...

DVD 5 are often the ones filmed in the cinemas. A bit dodgy at times, although even their quality is improving all the time. But if the same film is available as DVD 9 as well, or is the film is already a bit older, then DVD 5 is just fine, because they come appearantly from the same master.

Archived