Prediction of Mar 1 outcome regarding closing time

Belem

I think it will just make being in the "entertainment" business more expensive in the long run.

both for the business persons and the customers.

I wonder if they will try to regulate "beach parties" and private parties.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Thailand economically comes up in the world, it will probably keep going the way that Japan has become, especially with the nightlife prices.

The Philippines has a chance to grab some major business from Thailand as far as nightlife goes, dependent on how these new closing hours work in practice, if they do come into effect.

:cussing: I've been overseas for like a month, and I come back home to this...?! Purachai, Purachai.

If the Thai mafia was worth their weight in crime films they would 'bury that cock-a-rocha'. :help: Petchaburi could have a new life truly, however, away from Patpong.. Soapies are big there - no BTS access, however, but property values are still far lower. Even the new Phetchaburi underground stop at Asok is far from alot of its nightlife.. Any thoughts??

I do wonder if Q Bar and Bed will take it on the nose from a strict crackdown? If this enforcement gets strict, which I'm guessing it will - could property values dip in the Sukhumvit expat-skyscraper boom-era?!?! One that was only getting back on its feet post-1997 crisis :dunno:

One things is for sure.. that post I wrote awhile back 'Waking up in Patpong' was promising. I thought the 'pong was looking up lately - well the glory may return in business to the 'pong now, with negative repercussions for my good fortune that night. I foresee a big fat price hike down the road - a large BG migration. :doah: 3x's the punters... :doah:

Innovation and corruption will show us the way.. or innovation through corruption. :beer::applause:

find me some rice porridge,

the_numbers

Pasathai:

Pha-Ngan and Koh Samui are already crying foul about beach parties. :eek: I suppose the 'full moon' parties are gonna face the music and every hippie backpacker, collapsing from thai stick and magic mushrooms may feel the bite. :dunno:

The estimates from the local offices down South were quoted that over 100million baht in revenue was injected each month by these hedonicstic farang debacles on the islands. :drunk:

The obvious complaint they had was, "We are for tourists we don't have problems with Thai kids here... what's the story?" :censored:

That fight has yet to be fought... I suppose protests are being planned, but I imagine the effect will be about as effective as last year's by those who suffered from the demolition of their Sukhumvit beerbars.. little press coverage, fizzle, forgotten..

:down:

the_numbers

Whitney said:

I wonder how long that midnight trek to Patpong would take in a taxi from Soi Cowboy or Nanaplaza. I think the train stops running at midnight. Maybe I'll send an email reminder to transit authority to get more BTS cars prepped and ready for March :grinyes:

Is the Night Market in Patpong open 7 days a week?

Current talk is that when the subway stations open in the spring, that the BTS will run until 2am.

Little help for the hoteliers on Soi Nana however.

I think you have most of the points covered here. Can only add that there will be a growth in very 'private' members only clubs in all areas outside of the entertainment zones.

the entire thing is a joke in my opinion ... The parents should look after there kiddies.. if the government are so worried..

It will be interesting as to what will happen ..

Gadfly thread was the best i have ever read... and i realy feel sorry now , for soi cowboy will decline really fast !! such a pity.

parents looking after their hildren in LOS?

what are you on my friend - didn't you read the nation this morning :o

a new law being introduced will put a curfew on all under 18's from 10pm-6am? or so :drunk: to prevent among others sex, rape, abuse, fighting etc.

do your own math onwards - TIT :D

keith doug said:

the entire thing is a joke in my opinion ... The parents should look after there kiddies.. if the government are so worried..

It will be interesting as to what will happen ..

Gadfly thread was the best i have ever read... and i realy feel sorry now , for soi cowboy will decline really fast !! such a pity.

Belem said:

Well, with the Thai government having decided to study the closing times issue further and render a decision by March 1, what do you guys think the outcome will be?

One possible outcome could be Soi Cowboy reverting back to the reputation it had years ago (when closing time was 1 p.m.)

No bar fines after midnight, more laid-back atmosphere, mostly expats who have to go to work in the morning. Girls could become a *lot* more friendlier. With 2 hours less, they might not want to milk customers for drinks before deciding to be "fined-out". Also, less inclined to make a "run" (back to the bar) for a second/third customer. In short, I see some real benefit to the early closing time.

As for Cambo, no doubt that it will begin to attract more of those interested in drinking until at least 2 a.m. (if that's all you are interested in). In fact, since there isn't much to do/see in the daytime in Phnom Penh, I guess you might as well drink into the morning and then sleep most of the day. Sanukers shouldn't forget, however, that Hun Sen closed the karoke joints a year or so ago...and the same that is happening in Thailand could happen there. Now, if go-go's were to open in Cambo and stay open until 2, 3, 4 a.m., there would suddenly be a lot of connecting flights to PP and SR. (Already, EVA has direct service from the West Coast of the U.S. to Phnom Penh and return.)

Well, all too bad for you night dwellers and sanukers, but I see a much larger impact on the Thai economy than just the lower sois in Suk.

The tourist industry in general will suffer severly in Thailand.

I'm not sure what they are thinking, but they're definately shooting in their own feet.

Archived